Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: October 1, 2024, 10:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
(May 14, 2014 at 3:56 am)Esquilax Wrote:
(May 13, 2014 at 4:49 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: The fact that you are an atheist means that you didn't truly repent. Sorry.

Great, so now you've got beliefs that have no failure state, are unfalsifiable, and are hence irrational. You've just locked your own beliefs out of rationality forever.

This is such a profoundly dishonest sentiment from you, Chad, this bullshit idea that if you ever perceive that repentance doesn't work sufficiently to give up on it, it means you're doing it wrong. So, what, the only way to do it right is to just continue to believe in it forever and never ever consider that it might fail?

You are such a fucking amateur at this. Rolleyes

And if my prior reply gets skipped over, let's explore this. Going back to when I lay dying, airway doubled in half, before being airlifted from the crash site, why didn't your God choose to reveal himself to me?

I know he works in mysterious ways, I get that. However, in your specific brand of belief; what would be the eventual purpose of more or less giving me "dating advice" by introducing a hyper-realistic vision of the woman I was casually dating at the time dying in an agonizing way, literally bleeding out before my eyes; in such a way that several months after the accident and sedatives, I would still chastise her for "not actually being here" and "being dead" shortly after waking up?

If you say "It was a spiritual vision of God's plan!", I'll accept that.

But why involve the closeted homosexual Fireman on his way to visit his boyfriend at the marine base where God caused the car accident? What would be the point of that? God timed events so perfectly that not only was I brake-checked off the road by one of His Good Christian Soldiers, in time to have my Spiritual Vision, but God sent a Homosexual Angel to untwist my airway, who was coincidentally on his way to visit his boyfriend at the marine base for an extramarital affair, to pass on the above-mentioned dating advice?

I didn't need to have a dozen percutaneous pins rammed through my distal and radial ulnar joints to think "Hey, this girl who hits every one of my ideals for physical and mental attraction might be worth spending more time with." I already knew that. I didn't need a year of physical therapy to get back basic articulated functions underscore it for me.

Moreover, if God knew, being omniscient, that post-accident, the lifelong deist-leaning agnostic would start to search out atheist podcasts for daily listening, atheist forums to read, and anti-religious propaganda for me to repost online, why push me over the edge? Why push someone analytical enough to watch their own arm be flayed open for proper placement of stitches and pins to analyze such experiences, knowing I would interpret my Spiritual Vision from a wholly psychological viewpoint, without the necessary involvement of any deity?

Why not show up for .03 seconds of human time, and say "hey, Dude: You're fucking up. I'm sending you back down for a second chance, OK?"

Because, as of now, I am more convinced than ever that every religion is simply experiencing a part of the human mind they applies wishful thinking, and assigns a whole set of natural experiences to a God that doesn't exist outside our sculls.

And that there's nothing I experienced that makes me want ascribe my experiences to anything more than a need to converting my freckled, big-boob redhead to secular humanism, so she can enjoy the rest of her life with me without guilt and the threat of eternal torture in hell for enjoying what he have in the here-and-now.

[Image: u9ybu9e4.jpg]

"Thanks Jesus, would have missed this one if you hadn't prompted the car wreck!"

Messages In This Thread
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Brakeman - April 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - April 18, 2014 at 9:52 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Tonus - April 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 10, 2014 at 11:47 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 17, 2014 at 11:35 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Ksa - May 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 10, 2014 at 12:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Rampant.A.I. - May 14, 2014 at 8:39 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 11:51 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 12:39 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 11:46 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 20, 2014 at 12:27 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 28, 2014 at 11:50 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 28, 2014 at 11:09 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 10:19 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 10:57 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 11:19 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 8, 2014 at 11:39 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 9, 2014 at 10:36 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 2:06 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 2:11 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 55684 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 97517 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 12638 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7864 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  you have to have faith..and there's a purpose k2490 16 6334 June 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  A club exists at my school for the purpose of evangelizing students Marnie 84 36425 May 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: catfish
  The Meaning of Pain & Suffering? ronedee 12 3359 March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6563 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  The meaning of "woman" in Galations 4:4 Barre 7 3472 December 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19 Barre 8 2970 December 10, 2011 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Barre