Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: July 2, 2024, 11:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
(May 14, 2014 at 5:48 am)Tonus Wrote: The Bible makes it pretty clear that god was never shy about interacting with people and proving himself through clear and unambiguous action. Sometimes it was by talking directly to people, or sending a heavenly messenger. Sometimes it was something as spectacular as parting the waters of a sea. Other times it was more sublime yet still impressive, such as walking on the surface of the sea. The Bible tells us that god acted in ways that people could easily witness and confirm with one another. It also tells us that in a future time he will do it again, and there will be no doubt that it's him.

You are right about God making himself known in different physical ways, He was showing certain people who He was and laying out His plan of salvation for all mankind through His special people (Israel).
There's one problem that you and most people here make about God making himself known, let's take a look at them. People said that God talked to them in the past, yes it's even recorded in scripture and people today ask why doesn't He do that today. Would you believe someone if they reported that God spoke to them, you haven't as yet and neither do most here. This is an excuse to not believe in God, denying what someone else has experienced. Do I believe it when people say they have heard from God, no, not all, if what they say doesn't line up with scripture I have serious to complete doubt.
Would you believe someone if they reported an angel (messenger) was sent to them By God. If you wouldn't believe God spoke to someone I doubt it and neither would many here. Would I, it depends on what the message was, if it wasn't scriptural I would have my doubts. That's why I do not watch the TV preachers, not that all of them are trying to fool people some are genuine.
Would you believe a group of men telling you they saw Jesus walking on Lake Erie, no and neither would most here, including me. Why wouldn't I because of one thing Christ said, "It is finished." After His resurrection the days of those physical miracles were completed. The Holy Spirit is now the witness and the way God generally connects with people. The plan with all it's physical miracles was fulfilled at the resurrection. Now how many people in the past do you think believed the Red Sea was parted or any miracle of their time happened. Few if any, it takes the entire story of the plan to bring it to reality, random acts would have lead to nothing.

Quote:But in the meantime he will disappear and make no impression at all, except on an individual level and in ways that can only be interpreted by the individual in question. He is so subtle in this that many people apparently miss the clues entirely, and those that do might misinterpret them. And that's not counting demons appearing as 'angels of light' to mislead people. To me it lacks consistency, and the decades I spent as a believer do nothing to change that. That I was as sincere as I was for as long as I was and literally saw nothing of god makes a very deep impression on me as a thinking person.

Only on fallen angel will have that power and it will only happen because God will allow it. Maybe you need to go back and seriously examine your life in the church to see what happened that you could not see God, I know that if I had not seen God I would not have been with the church every long, to many promises in scripture for those who have really found Christ and accepted Him into their lives.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Messages In This Thread
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Brakeman - April 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - April 18, 2014 at 9:52 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Tonus - April 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 10, 2014 at 11:47 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Godschild - May 14, 2014 at 11:38 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 17, 2014 at 11:35 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Ksa - May 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 10, 2014 at 12:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 11:51 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 12:39 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 11:46 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 20, 2014 at 12:27 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 28, 2014 at 11:50 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 28, 2014 at 11:09 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 10:19 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 10:57 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 11:19 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 8, 2014 at 11:39 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 9, 2014 at 10:36 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 2:06 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 2:11 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 45080 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 91849 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 11933 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7645 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  you have to have faith..and there's a purpose k2490 16 6021 June 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  A club exists at my school for the purpose of evangelizing students Marnie 84 35082 May 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: catfish
  The Meaning of Pain & Suffering? ronedee 12 3218 March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6428 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  The meaning of "woman" in Galations 4:4 Barre 7 3377 December 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19 Barre 8 2784 December 10, 2011 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Barre