Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 20, 2024, 7:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty.
RE: Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty.
(November 14, 2014 at 12:26 am)Exian Wrote: I was explaining evolution the best I could to my daughter the other day, and we got snagged up on how one species could become another. I told her minor changes add up over long periods of time. She looked like she was just taking my word for it, so I came up with this (thought I'd share it here and let it get picked apart before I told her):

Take 100 generations of any animal. Every 10 generations will be a bench mark for change. Animal 1 produces animal 2, animal 2 produces animal 3-- all the way up to 10. If some how the animal in generation 10 could find an animal from generation 1, they could reproduce, because not enough changes have occurred for speciation. But! once animal 10 produces animal 11, animal 11 can not reproduce with animal 1, because enough small changes have occurred to make it a new species of animal.

I'd also make it clear that its not that clean of a process and it takes way more than 10 generations. Also, there will be a lot more fart jokes. She loves those. So, what's up? Is there a simpler way?

Actually, let me apologize- This probably doesn't belong here. The conversation steered this way and I just posted this without thinking about it.

You have it exactly except that 100 or more generations would be better.

There's another way too. Sometimes a population gets split by a geographical barrier-- a landslide separates one population/species into two. Both sides continue breeding, and for several generations if you removed the barrier there would still be one species, but there would come a time when they could no longer breed even if you lifted the barrier.

The barrier can be social too. Change one bird's mating song and he and his off-spring might become a new breeding population.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. - by Jenny A - November 14, 2014 at 10:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1297 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 381 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Free Will Debate Alan V 82 5282 November 27, 2021 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Debate Invitation John 6IX Breezy 3 701 September 1, 2019 at 2:05 pm
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19635 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread Whateverist 598 72375 June 12, 2018 at 6:29 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
Thumbs Up VOTE HERE: Final four questions for the Christian Debate vulcanlogician 43 4624 May 18, 2018 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  1st Call for Christian Only Debate: Our Role on AF Neo-Scholastic 132 17915 May 4, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Hybrid theory between freewill and determinism Won2blv 18 4331 July 26, 2017 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  How can you tell the difference between reality and delusions? Azu 19 7070 June 13, 2017 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie