Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 1:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
If the universe was fine tuned for our life...
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life...
(December 4, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Heywood Wrote:
(December 4, 2014 at 1:38 pm)Jenny A Wrote:

What is exactly absurd about the prediction? One of the two conjectures must be true.

A)Sub realities always require intelligence to come into existence.
B)Sub realities do not always require intelligence to come into existence.

There is nothing absurd about thinking about these two conjectures and looking for reasons to favor one over the other. Can you think of a good reason to favor B over A. The only reason I can think of to favor B is that it might be more consistent with your world view.....but this is not a good reason. There is good objective reason, however, to favor A over B. That good reason is that we always observe sub realities requiring intelligence to come into existence. We never observe sub realities not requiring intelligence to come into existence.

The problem is much more fundamental than that. I will try to be clearer. At this point there are no sub-realites whatsoever that include real space. Rules do not create reality. The sub-realities you discuss are really just organized bits of imagination. They don't create a reality. Therefore, how they are created doesn't have any relevance to how actual reality was created.

It's like comparing how an orange grows to how one is painted. The processes have nothing to do with each other.

(December 4, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Heywood Wrote: When you say, "We have one universe which appears to be governed by rules many of which we have discovered. But our "rules" are really just descriptions of how things in the universe behave. There is no evidence that the rules "created" the universe by describing it. The rules are merely us humans describing things." I interpret this to mean you think the concept of a sub-reality is nonsensical. Is that a fair interpretation?

Yes and no. I so think the concept of sub-realities is currently a null set if we are talking about realities that are in any sense real inside the sub-reality. We don't have any examples of real sub-realities.

But that's not what I was saying about the laws of the universe. I was saying that the fact that the universe has constants which we can discover does not mean the constants created universe. Not surprisingly the constants we create by rules when we create imaginary space don't actually create real space and things either.

(December 4, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Heywood Wrote: One assumption made by my argument is that the real world is a sub reality. If you don't accept this assumption....you're not going to accept the argument.

That is indeed an assumption I don't accept. It's an interesting idea, and certainly possible. But we have no way of knowing. Nor do we have any idea how a sub-reality such as our world might be created. We do know that just making up rules for an imagined space won't work, because our computer simulations don't create real spaces.

(December 4, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Heywood Wrote: It seems to me that you do not accept this assumption. Right now I don't really care to go into detail why I believe this assumption. I have covered it in other threads. It has to do with causality, the nature of randomness, quantum mechanics, and what Bells theorem tells us. I'm going to ask you to accept this assumption as true for the sake of the argument we are having....just to see if by accepting it you reach the same conclusion I have.

I'm not sure you really understand Bell's Theorem--in fairness I don't really understand it either, but what you are saying does not seem to follow from it. But, sure, for the sake of argument I'll assume for the moment that we are in a sub-reality.

(December 4, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Heywood Wrote: Last, you claim sub realities are not really real....well I have argued why from certain perspectives they are real. You don't do anything to refute my argument on this point. You don't even say my argument on this point is wrong. You simply re-iterate your claim that sub realities provided as examples by me, you, and others....are simply are not real. I am asking you here to address the argument I made on this point and show why it is wrong.

No I think the burden of proof is the other way around. You imagine a space and give it rules. Now you say it is a real space. I ask in what way? You say it is real if viewed from the inside. But there is nothing inside to do the viewing. The burden of proof that it is more than just imagination is yours. Your sub-realities are nothing more than rules and descriptions of outcomes of those rules. They don't create anything real.

If we could actually create real sub-realites (which we can't) and we knew we were in a sub-reality (which we don't), your induction would be highly suggestive. But like all inductive conclusion it would not necessarily be true.

(December 4, 2014 at 7:44 pm)Heywood Wrote: Leonard Susskind talks about the apparent fine tuning. Leonard is a well known and very well respected in the physics world. He is considered one of the fathers of string theory. He agrees the universe appears to be fine tuned for our existence....I disagree and claim it is fine tuned for emergent complexity....but non the less we both agree it is fine tuned. When he talks about the cosmological constant being precisely fine tuned....it is to one part in a trillion..trillion..trillion..trillion..trillion..trillion..trillion..trillion..trillion..trillion. Change it that much and there is no sustained emergent complexity.

Susskind favors the multiverse explanation for the apparent fine tuning BTW. Watch the vid...its good stuff.

I watched. He says that if one of about a dozen constants of the universe were changed between 1% and 30% depending on the constant the universe as we know it would not exist and life would not exist. No argument there. I'm mere surprised there are things we can change by as much as 30%.

He suggests three possibilities: 1) intelligent design just for us; 2) highly improbable hitting the jackpot in this one universe; 3) many universe and we are in one of the ones that can sustain life. He likes number three. Must admit, I like number three too.

But I'm not bothered by number two either. As far as we know all possible universes are equally improbable. If this is the only one, than it is the only one in which we could ask the question, how did we get here? We know our lottery number came up because here we are.

Number one bothers me because it presumes an over arching universe containing all the others that was not created but does manage to house a universe creating being (how many constants do you think that might take hitting the jackpot on?). That strikes me as extremely improbable, much more improbable than choice number 2.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.

Messages In This Thread
If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Lucanus - November 30, 2014 at 1:06 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Nope - November 30, 2014 at 1:25 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by IATIA - November 30, 2014 at 1:40 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by IATIA - November 30, 2014 at 2:05 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Cato - December 2, 2014 at 7:34 am
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Cato - December 2, 2014 at 11:04 am
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by C4RM5 - November 30, 2014 at 1:50 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Cato - November 30, 2014 at 2:22 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Chas - December 1, 2014 at 10:49 am
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 2:02 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 2:49 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 3:02 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by IATIA - November 30, 2014 at 3:42 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 3:46 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 3:50 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 4:09 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 4:18 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 4:25 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 5:00 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 5:41 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 5:56 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 6:07 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Smaug - November 30, 2014 at 6:19 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Cato - December 2, 2014 at 1:08 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Jenny A - December 4, 2014 at 10:05 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Cato - December 3, 2014 at 7:24 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by IATIA - December 5, 2014 at 12:32 am
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by Cato - December 5, 2014 at 2:27 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by IATIA - December 5, 2014 at 10:02 pm
RE: If the universe was fine tuned for our life... - by IATIA - December 5, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  We can only see 4% of the universe ! WinterHold 25 2988 January 30, 2019 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  God can make infinitely more special/valuable things than this universe blue grey brain 84 10073 December 17, 2018 at 7:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, vaahaa 19 2873 September 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Carl Sagan: A Universe Not Made For Us Minimalist 28 7591 May 6, 2017 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Crunchy
  Is our universe more complex than a t-shirt or not? ReptilianPeon 17 3792 September 27, 2016 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  The universe existing as a byproduct of God? T.J. 89 8831 June 29, 2016 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Finely-tuned universe wanted: Intelligent Designers need not apply. Time Traveler 38 8913 April 11, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  Why the fine tuning argument is a pile of shit Longhorn 61 12006 August 11, 2015 at 5:42 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  An eternal life is a worthless life. Lucanus 47 12710 December 24, 2014 at 5:11 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  How did god create the universe? Natachan 31 5626 November 12, 2014 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus