Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 21, 2024, 9:35 pm

Poll: Do you subscrbe to belief in free-will, determinism, or compatibilism?
This poll is closed.
Libertarian Free-Will
12.00%
3 12.00%
Compatibilism
24.00%
6 24.00%
Determinism
40.00%
10 40.00%
Other, please explain
24.00%
6 24.00%
Total 25 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Free-will poll, please bear with me!
RE: Another Free-will poll, please bear with me!
(May 27, 2015 at 12:11 pm)bennyboy Wrote: It seems to me you are describing us as beings who are fully immersed in the Matrix.  But I always get a kind of philosophical Spidey-sense in situations like this: for if the brain isn't real in the whole-cloth sense that we look at it, then where and what is mind, really?

I'm not sure I understand your question. The mind is created whole cloth, but some things in that mental construct have a correlation with things in the real world (this desk, my body) and some things are purely mental constructs in that they don't correspond to anything real. In fact, a lot more of the mind is illusory in this sense than we normally grant. Our eyes present the brain with two 2D pictures of the world, but we don't perceive the world as two dimensional. Even if we close one eye, features of the 2D picture are used to make the best guess as to a 3D view in the mind, utilizing cues like color, shadow, size and parallax. So in a sense, the mind lives in a Matrix of constructed objects and constructed illusions, like will, feelings, concepts, and morals.

The whole of the mind, whether there is correspondence with things in the external world or not, is a whole cloth construct. It's all illusory in the sense that things in the external world are only incorporated into the mental model after being abstracted from our sense data and interpreted (small/big, near/far, part/whole,line/boundary). (The pain isn't in my foot, it's in the model of my foot in my mind. That sinking feeling in my chest isn't a feeling in my chest, it's a part of my mental model of the world. My imagination of a pony doesn't occur somewhere deep in the center of my head, that's just where in my mental model my 'consciousness' seems to be situated. Our model could place the image of a pony anywhere, from my foot to 6 feet above my head, but it doesn't. Consciousness is 'situated' in space and time (in my head, in the now), despite the fact that if consciousness occurs as a function of the brain, it is spread out among many neurons, and is not 'occurring' at any specific "now." This appearance of my mind being situated in space and time is yet another illusion. It doesn't correlate with real objects in the external world.)
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another Free-will poll, please bear with me! - by Angrboda - May 27, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Science Poll! Istvan 9 1715 September 25, 2022 at 8:30 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Science Poll! Istvan 24 2523 March 23, 2022 at 11:07 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Oh no not another free will thread. Edwardo Piet 309 42499 April 29, 2018 at 11:45 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 71710 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Not A Poll: Does Motivation Affect Morality? BrianSoddingBoru4 146 20034 May 24, 2016 at 11:01 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Poll - 'Waiting for godot' a significant Philosophical Work? ManMachine 15 4889 January 21, 2015 at 11:41 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Please stop equating 'belief' and 'faith' Ryft 3 2045 January 4, 2011 at 10:36 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  "Free Will" Belief/Disbelief Poll Edwardo Piet 91 34888 November 7, 2010 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Help me solidify a thought please. tackattack 24 6808 March 19, 2010 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: RedFish