Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 6:45 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK - Christianity declining, Atheism rising, but so is Islam...
RE: UK - Christianity declining, Atheism rising, but so is Islam...
(June 10, 2015 at 10:42 am)Dystopia Wrote:
(June 10, 2015 at 5:37 am)Pandæmonium Wrote: You're right that there is no penalty for apostasy in British law, but Sharia law operates outside of that and there are still very, very harsh inter and intra-community punishments for it.

http://libertygb.org.uk/v1/index.php/new...nced-islam

There have been serious issues in the past in communities where the majority espouse a sect of Islam with harsh conservative sharia courts dominating local lives.

Yes - But at least Britain provides a good mechanism for non-believers to leave the religion without trouble - Unlike in Saudi Arabia. Keep in mind that you can find despicable family reactions to apostasy in more religions - I am Portuguese, and one thing that concerns me is that some high profile leaders of the JWs community supports families kicking kids out of the house if they leave the religion or do things that go against the faith - This is terrible, specially for young adults who don't have jobs, and for minors it is illegal.

It does have a good mechanism (rule of law), but as you yourself point out in your post, these mechanisms are utterly irrelevant if the community/social subculture (Whatever) in questions refuses to abide by them.

Cultural [undefined] and religious norms in many Islamic communities necessitate the demonising and outcasting of aposates, just like in many north African communities the use of FGM is still rampant. All the laws and social constraints in the world ain't gonna do anything if people insulate themselves from that and wider society doesn't take a stand against it. In many ways, the only difference is that the state here doesn't actively enforce the punishment of apostates, but neither does it outright condemn terrible practices against them (as the article I linked elucidated). A thin line, i'm sure you'll agree.

As to your other point, yes, that is terrible, very terrible indeed Sad
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Messages In This Thread
RE: UK - Christianity declining, Atheism rising, but so is Islam... - by Fidel_Castronaut - June 10, 2015 at 11:44 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christianity's Valuable Contributions to Humanity: An Examination of Militant Atheism Nishant Xavier 137 7308 September 8, 2023 at 4:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Islam owns atheism with a single verse Loaded dice 341 24634 August 6, 2023 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 2081 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Islam is not a Religion, but a..... Omnisofos 41 12957 June 23, 2017 at 2:02 am
Last Post: Regina
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27790 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2909 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Atheists have no morals? Islam & Christianity are actually crazy. bussta33 8 2788 January 16, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12708 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12261 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10596 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0