Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 12:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work
RE: The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work
Quote: Again if there is only subjective morality then there is no true right or wrong.  In your wold view there is just stuff. So some stuff doing things to other stuff can't be right or wrong because it is just stuff. No one is going out and claiming that bricks are morally wrong but we know that there is a way that we aught to behave because we are not just stuff. We have logic, thought, consciousness and that can not come from in animate things. It must come from a being that is also conscious being who thinks logically and has a moral code.

I’m not going to repeat myself again. Please listen, and absorb this, and don’t tell me again, that I just see people as stuff. We basically all have morality, and it’s subjective. The “some stuff doing things to other stuff can’t be right or wrong because it’s stuff.” is dishonest. I’m sure we can agree on many things that are moral, I don’t need a god to figure out that hurting people is wrong. I know how it feels to be hurt, so, in turn, I don’t to do that to others. It’s like the golden rule. Most people, don’t want to be treated like garbage, so, the best way to not be treated like garbage, is to treat others well, and in return, most of the time, you get treated well in return. If not, you do your best to avoid that person. Also, you keep making arguments from ignorance. Read up on some things from scientific experiments of life coming from non-life. Then read up  on how this planet was ruled by bacteria for billions of years, and then how life slowly evolved into more and more intelligent and complex life. Check out the Miller/Urey Experiment, that’s a good start. I can understand why people believe in a prime mover, but most other things are well understood, and people don’t want to take the time to read it, because they think their holy book has all the answers.

Quote:We embody the very image of God, who you are suppressing the truth of. We instinctively know what aught to do because He has put that in all of us.

Nice try, but if there’s a god, he’s the one suppressing himself from everyone. No, we don’t know, because not everyone was raised the way you were. This truth you speak of, is practiced by 30 some percent of the world. I guess everyone is doomed. You know, the muslims think the same way as you. The 30 some percent of them in the world, think that allah has instilled this truth within them. I’m sure you think they are corrupted, and I’m sure they think the same about you. Which made-up book, written by man, is the truth? Of course, you claim yours, and others claims theirs. If one of these books was the word of god, there would be no debate. If, we all ‘knew’, as you claim, this truth within us, and if god had actually put it there, there would be no debate! How come hundreds of millions of people on this planet will never know about jesus or the bible? Was that god’s stupendous plan to get everyone to know that jesus is savior of the world? God’s word doesn’t reach everyone on the planet, and is still the true word of god. Give me a break. Your god is psycho or very incompetent.

Quote:Your world view's morals are all based on opinion and not reality. You judgment has no true foundation on which to judge what is right and wrong so you are just comeing to arbitrary conclusion
You speak of massive leaps of faith but your world view can't account for logic, knowledge, uniformity, or consciousness by which to judge wither my faith is anything.
Also like I have said before I know Jesus. I speak to Him everyday. I don't believe in Him because of the Bible but I believe the Bible because of Him.

No, my opinions are based on reality, not fantasy. My judgment has foundations in reality, yours are based on your belief that whatever is in the bible, is true, not matter if it’s false, evil, or extremely farfetched. That is a horrible way to live a life, thinking you know everything because you were raised with the bible. That doesn’t make you objectively right, because you were taught that this book was the one true book. That doesn’t make it true. Many others are brought up with other books claimed to be the truth, and to you, I’m sure they’re not. Why? Because you were raised that way. You are incapable of thinking for yourself; you don’t know how to think without that book of yours. Maybe, actually try to look at the bible, the way you would look at the koran. That would actually be a more honest approach of testing what you actually believe. You claim to talk to jesus every day, and claim you believe the bible because jesus talks to you, and not the other way around. Then, why doesn’t jesus do that with everyone on the planet? Why not visit every single person on the planet, and tell them the exact same thing? He obviously doesn’t do that, as you claim, because if that did happen, everyone would drop what they believed, and follow jesus. Maybe, send jesus my way, and if he doesn’t come, he either doesn’t care about me, or you’re just delusional.

Quote:I can make a judgment on those two lines of scripture and I could explain it to you  because I have a standard that stands outside of myself. You could use your subjective morals to judge my statement. Then who would be right? If we used your wold view no one. If we use may standard of right and wrong we could compare it to the absolute truth and make a judgment from that.

Yeah, still waiting on that interpretation, and how you feel about it. I could use my subjective morals to judge what you say, you are correct. I think you are withholding your opinion, because you know deep down, that it is immoral beyond imagination, but, because of your brainwashing, you are forced to believe in that wickedness, as if it was something good, because you were taught that god is always right and always good. Then who would be right?..you ask. No one would be right. I’d claim you’re sick in the head for believing that it’s ok to beat slaves, and you’d say, “No, it’s perfectly ok, because god said so.” They’d both be subjective opinions. I’d be entitled mine, and you’d be entitled to yours. Although, it truly isn’t yours, it’s the book you were brainwashed into to accept as truth no matter what. Let me give you a tip, it’s a good idea to question and be skeptical of things. It’s good not to believe everything you hear, and strongly question everything. That’s why science is the best thing we have, when it comes to what is true or not. I can’t claim absolute truth on science, but testing hypotheses over and over again trying to prove them false with everything you possibly can, allows you to figure out what is true and what is not in this reality. You should be putting that same method to the test with the bible. You should think to yourself, “HHMMMM, do I have a reason to believe that Samson killed 1,000 men with a donkey’s jawbone? or does this sound like a made-up story? Did Jonah spend 3 days in a whale? Or does that story sound made-up?” Do that for you own good. If you were raised believing in The Vedas, don’t you think it would be a good idea to question it? I’m sure you’d say, Yes. Do the same for the bible, they’re all books written by men.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' -Isaac Asimov-

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Reasons why "Just Following Jesus" Doesn't work - by Salacious B. Crumb - July 16, 2015 at 3:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A 21st Century Ontological Argument: does it work. JJoseph 23 1480 January 9, 2024 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1087 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 16134 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Photo Popular atheist says universe is not a work of art like a painting Walter99 32 3589 March 22, 2021 at 1:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Why is Jesus Circumcised and not the rest of the christians ? Megabullshit 23 5435 February 9, 2020 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can you be sure that God doesn't exist? randomguy123 50 5895 August 14, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5361 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  The Never-Addressed reasons that lead me to Atheism Chimera7 26 3848 August 20, 2018 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 18173 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7124 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy