Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 21, 2024, 2:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Were other European religions better than Christianity?
RE: Were other European religions better than Christianity?
(December 22, 2011 at 2:12 pm)Xavier Wrote: I think so. The Pagan religions of Greco Roman Civilization, the Anglo Saxons and the Vikings were in essence far more tolerant to other cultures and didn't have the dogma of Christianity had that all people of other religions should be killed or converted to that religion.

The Roman Empire was a relatively tolerant place religiously until Christianity took hold, and pagans didn't start wars in the name of their religion.

It may be true that they all have the problem of believing in fictional myths but still Paganism >> Christianity and encourages a far better standard of morality.
I think not. I think christianity did do good in putting an end to the violent gladiatorial fights, which were a means of sacrifice to roman gods.
The ancient greeks, gauls and germanic people often sacrificed humans, and suicide was seen by the germanic peoples as a shortcut to Valhalla.

Paganism, is not even a religion. It's a collective name for other religions beside today's world religions.
Not that I do not respect the ancient faiths, and also praise the recon movements for their accuracy and devotion.
However, things like...Wicca and Ecclecticism ring all "fluff" and "teen angst" to me.

(December 23, 2011 at 1:21 am)Xavier Wrote:
(December 22, 2011 at 10:11 pm)padraic Wrote: "Better"? Of course not.

Religions have always been invented by men for men.They always reflect the culture ,times and mores of those who invent them.Christianity, a thoroughly derivative religion,is no better or worse than most other religions in human history. It the emphasis believers give their religion which sets its tone. Christians (and theists generally) have always been able to use their religion to justify being dead cunts .Many fundamentalists still do.Tiger

Christianity's bloody history says otherwise
But I think that you're simply taking the part of history that you want to suit yourself, and leave the other parts out.
Don't worry. This is a common feature that you share with other anti-theists.
If we, for example, look at the christianisation of Lithuania, we see a crusade. But if we take a look at Ireland, we see a more peaceful conversion.

What exactly do you have to gain by spreading such misinformation?
What, really? Do you feel better about yourself? I think this is young people's stuff. I've known atheists with whom I can have a conversation on religion without that person bringing up the inquisition card, or "bloody history" card. Like, people know how to be bloody without showing any religious reasons.
But most people simply disregard the secular reasons behind the inquisition and cite "they did it fo' jewsus". No, I do not think that it is as simple as that.

Also, we actually criticize Spaniards who colonized the Americas as brutal, when they destroyed the Aztec empire.
Although it certainly is sad that colonisation has brought destruction upon the people, and later along with slave labor, allowed them to be constantly exploited, it certainly has brought an end to the constant warfare-sacrificial cycle, where the Aztecs went to war with other less powerful tribes or confederacies, brought in trophies in forms of slaves, and later on, sacrificed them on the altars of their pyramids.
This not to say about the general lifestyle of aztecs, as they were, in one form or the other, a near perfectly moral society. Thievery, murder(other than the sacrifices) and most petty crimes were not known to the aztec people.
They were also blessed with plenty in terms of crops, and knew no hunger. They used the gold that is of immense worth to us, as nothing more than decorative ornaments, and did away with the materialistic lifestyles that we share.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Were other European religions better than Christianity? - by kılıç_mehmet - December 26, 2011 at 6:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A thing about religious (and other) people and the illusion of free will ShinyCrystals 265 13348 December 6, 2023 at 12:21 am
Last Post: Harry Haller
  What is a theist other then the basic definition? Quill01 4 740 August 1, 2022 at 11:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism? vulcanlogician 147 8840 April 5, 2022 at 2:54 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2792 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  forbidding people to love each other Fake Messiah 210 24595 September 16, 2021 at 1:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Flat Earther, and other conspiracy theories. Are they mostly atheists? Ferrocyanide 95 7112 April 26, 2021 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Tomatoshadow2
  "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" ignoramus 121 21496 March 5, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 712 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Turns out we were all wrong. Here's undeniable proof of god. EgoDeath 6 1430 September 16, 2019 at 11:18 pm
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1909 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am