Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
My knee-jerk reaction is yes. Even though I still have plenty of criticisms of allegorical religion. 

I'm sure most of you agree with me here. So to avoid the "yes/no" dichotomy of the question that would undoubtedly result in a resounding "yes," Let's put a different spin on the question:

If you were to guess at the percentages involved in which one creates more problems, allegory or fundamentalism, how would the numbers fall? 

For me, it would be:

90% Fundamentalism

10% Allegory

Keep in mind that I'm parsing the concepts here, not specific religious sects. Even Southern Baptists are allegorists to some degree. And Catholics are fundamentalists to some degree (even though Catholicism is seldom seen as a fundamentalist sect per se).

Assuming we could chuck all problems that religion creates into a pie graph, which percentage of that pie graph would be resultant of fundamentalism and which would be resultant of allegorical belief?
RE: Is Allegorical Religion better than Fundamentalism?
Is it possible for a creed to become a religion if there isn’t a substantial strain of fundamentalism to keep it from devolving into a mere parody?
Fundamentalism doesn't slow down the devolution into parody. It accelerates it.
(March 26, 2022 at 12:21 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: which one creates more problems, allegory or fundamentalism

Pretty hard to say. 

Fundamentalism is a late-19th century movement among American Protestants developed in reaction to modern science. From Britannica:

Quote:Christian fundamentalism, movement in American Protestantism that arose in the late 19th century in reaction to theological modernism, which aimed to revise traditional Christian beliefs to accommodate new developments in the natural and social sciences, especially the theory of biological evolution.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Christi...amentalism

Is this what you mean when you use the term "fundamentalism," or something more general?

The Bible was read allegorically for centuries, almost exclusively. A literal reading does not rule out an allegorical reading. For example, it might say that God smote the Edomites. This was probably taken by many people as literally, historically true. However the meaning of the story, the reason it's in the Bible is because we are to read it allegorically as license to smite other groups who are challenging us. 

So that's a case where an allegorical reading would lead to violence. 

Maybe advocating violence in self-defense of one's group is good, though. There are many people on the forum who are all for violence in cases where one political division is threatened by another political division, even if ethnically they are nearly the same. 

We also have to think clearly about what "creates more problems" means. I suspect that both allegorical and fundamentalist readings prompt many people to disagree with my personal views, which are very much in line with 21st century Western bourgeois liberalism. So if "creates problems" means to oppose actively the beliefs of my tribe, then both styles of reading will create problems. 

Allegorical readings may be more likely to allow readings that are in keeping with my 21st century Western bourgeois liberalism. Whether that is a good thing, or just a conformist thing, I can't say.
Something less general.
I think fundamentalism is probably better. Sometimes it doesn't seem like that because so much of contemporary religion has shit for fundamentals.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 26, 2022 at 1:17 am)vulcanlogician Wrote: Fundamentalism doesn't slow down the devolution into parody. It accelerates it.

The difference is fundamentalism devolves into a parody when seen from the outside.    A creed based solely self-professed allegories devolves into a parody when seen from the inside.     Nothing worthy of the name religion can be so without being seen as a parody from the outside.    A creed won’t devolve into a religion if it is seen as a parody from the inside.
Allegorical religion is an enabler for fundamentalist religion.
I guess you would have to be more descriptive of what allegorical religion is. I don't think that anyone thinks that his religious views are allegorical or that he believes in allegory.
teachings of the Bible are so muddled and self-contradictory that it was possible for Christians to happily burn heretics alive for five long centuries. It was even possible for the most venerated patriarchs of the Church, like St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas, to conclude that heretics should be tortured (Augustine) or killed outright (Aquinas). Martin Luther and John Calvin advocated the wholesale murder of heretics, apostates, Jews, and witches. - Sam Harris, "Letter To A Christian Nation"
(March 26, 2022 at 3:51 am)Fake Messiah Wrote: I guess you would have to be more descriptive of what allegorical religion is. I don't think that anyone thinks that his religious views are allegorical or that he believes in allegory.

As an ex-Catholic, I can speak to this. In liberal Catholicism, the adherents start with their conclusion and then formulate their theology around that; in the process, they cherry pick from the Bible to support their a prior vision. You want Jesus to be an ethical teacher? No problem; there are Bible versus to support that. Social activist? Ditto. Marxist? Sure. Capitalist, homosexual, revolutionary, etc.; the list goes on and on.

Again, stirring the bullshit clockwise versus counterclockwise but with various additives and flavors mixed in to make it more palatable to some but not to others.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Satan better than God? Disagreeable 37 2566 January 31, 2022 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Is religion simply more about control than a god? GODZILLA 24 2859 January 8, 2019 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Drich
  I am a better person than God! chimp3 56 10309 May 24, 2018 at 1:07 am
Last Post: chimp3
  I am better than God! chimp3 24 4611 September 26, 2016 at 8:53 am
Last Post: brewer
  Creationists are better than inconsistent Christians orangedude 14 1900 April 27, 2016 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10701 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4894 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Study: Terrorists are motivated by Politics more than Religion Heat 23 4516 December 19, 2015 at 10:28 am
Last Post: abaris
  Christian Fundamentalism vis a vis Muslim Fundamentalism Rhondazvous 12 2247 November 1, 2015 at 9:33 am
Last Post: Rhondazvous
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19763 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon