Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 9:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't have to read The Bible to reject Christianity. Right?
Don't have to read The Bible to reject Christianity. Right?
I sure see a lot of Bible-thumping around here. Why do Christians insist on telling us we should read the bible?

Telling us "That's not what it says!" after we misinterpret their interpretaion, then, giving us a new one! I don't care what it says!

In the words of Sam Harris, it's "playing tennis without the net". What point is there to arguing biblical scripture when there is no consensus even on the same pew of a church on the right way to read it??

They can't even agree on exactly what hell is, or the Christian stance towards social issues such as Gay marriage. These people are lemmings that are constantly searching for someone, thing, or book to tell them how to live their lives. Why would I care what they think when they can't think for themselves? Its perpetual circular logic, but they seem to think it should BE CONTAGIOUS! Look...

Bob doesn't know what to think.

Jim says he doesn't either, but has a reliable thinking process he uses to understand other things, and would like to share it with Bob.

Bob doesn't want to hear it from Jim.

Bob finds a book.

The book tells Bob what to think.

Bob now wants to tell Jim what to think.

Jim can think for himself, and tells Bob to fuck off.

Bob judges Jim for his lack of knowledge pertaining to his book.

Jim thinks Bob is a nutsack.

Messages In This Thread
Don't have to read The Bible to reject Christianity. Right? - by The Reality Salesman - July 25, 2013 at 10:28 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44168 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Questions I have had about the Bible recently... FlatAssembler 12 2173 July 24, 2021 at 4:51 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 89671 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Why don't we have people named Jesus? Alexmahone 28 5499 April 5, 2018 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  So Bible rules don't apply to rich white people Fake Messiah 42 11212 March 19, 2018 at 1:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  I just read the catholic cathechism Der/die AtheistIn 25 5391 February 25, 2018 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Wanted: Christians who reject the supernatural and a literal afterlife. Whateverist 48 12061 October 20, 2017 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Have you read the good book? Angrboda 147 22042 March 23, 2017 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  For Those Who'd Like To Read It. Minimalist 7 1277 December 29, 2016 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Papers that every Christian should read! Jehanne 3 983 December 8, 2016 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Jehanne