Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 1:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wanted: Christians who reject the supernatural and a literal afterlife.
Wanted: Christians who reject the supernatural and a literal afterlife.
It would also help if you can agree that the bible simply is one more book on the shelf wherein people can find wisdom stories but only so long as they are read allegorically.  You would agree the bible is certainly not the unique and authoritative word of God wherein Christians should look for literal marching orders from the almighty.

Of course, since you agree that a literal afterlife in which your consciousness will carry on without your body is an absurd idea, you would also have to agree that heaven and hell too are to be understood allegorically, not literally.

If there any Christians here (or you know any) that can agree with the above, I for one would be interested to hear what about religion you find meaningful.  I'd also like to know how important you find it to elevate the understanding of other Christians so that they may be your peers.

*crickets*
RE: Wanted: Christians who reject the supernatural and a literal afterlife.
Mark, despite you noble efforts, wouldn't that be a contradiction in terms?

A bit like going to a brothel for hugs Dunno
Why bother unless there's something divine in it for you?
Not that any kid can be held responsible for their indoctrination from their parents...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
A literal afterlife? I'm not sure that makes sense, isn't the belief in an afterlife a binary position. As to your request for Christians to rethink their position, good luck with that. Most Christians are cultural Christians, ie, they don't have the remotest idea what they believe or why they're supposed to believe it. This is possibly one reason they get so defensive when challenged, they don't know how to respond.
It's amazing 'science' always seems to 'find' whatever it is funded for, and never the oppsite. Drich.
(October 19, 2017 at 3:01 am)ignoramus Wrote: Mark, despite you noble efforts, wouldn't that be a contradiction in terms?

A bit like going to a brothel for hugs Dunno
Why bother unless there's something divine in it for you?
Not that any kid can be held responsible for their indoctrination from their parents...

The problem is in the way you conceptualize the divine.  It doesn't have to be a creator, an overlord, an external other or person-like in any way.  And religiosity divorced from hope for an afterlife, any concern for heaven or hell, any belief in the infallibility or literal significance of the bible, or subservience to a monarch-like divinity - would at least be interesting to understand.  The mistakes of the fundies are low lying fruit not worth reaching for.  If I am to discuss religion at all I don't want it to be a on superficial, banal level.
There was a person like that on the defunct Cygnus' Study. She was a bitter old coot.
(October 19, 2017 at 4:27 am)Succubus Wrote: A literal afterlife? I'm not sure that makes sense, isn't the belief in an afterlife a binary position. As to your request for Christians to rethink their position, good luck with that. Most Christians are cultural Christians, ie, they don't have the remotest idea what they believe or why they're supposed to believe it. This is possibly one reason they get so defensive when challenged, they don't know how to respond.

That (my bolded) is why I bother to put it out there.  I prefer to discuss interesting things.  If it is to involve religion, I only want to understand why it appeals to an intelligent person who values it not as consolation for a life they don't know how to value but for a value I don't understand.  Otherwise why bother?
Also wanted: married bachelors, orphans who live with their parents, and armless ambidextrians.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 19, 2017 at 10:25 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Also wanted: married bachelors, orphans who live with their parents, and armless ambidextrians.

Boru

Yep, it's all in the definitions we use.  The trouble is when we who are not theists insist on foisting ours on to more thoughtful theists.  I suspect such theists would find it just as enjoyable to be told what it is they must believe as I enjoy being told I'm doing atheism wrong because I don't actively believe that 'gods', whatever they may be, don't exist.  It is so rare that any such theist shows up here I hate to see us drive them away by behaving as stupidly as the fundies.

*Edited to point out that fundy xtians are every bit as eager to insist that such theists as I'm calling for aren't really theists too.  I'm not going to agree with them.
Christians who reject afterlife and the supernatural seems like they'd be similar to humanists.

People that buy into the golden rule, and a 'right way to behave' that everybody should have to follow. People have value. That sort of thing.

A couple rule discrepancies depending on denomination and individual humanists opinions, but it essentially works out the same.
(October 19, 2017 at 10:43 am)wallym Wrote: Christians who reject afterlife and the supernatural seems like they'd be similar to humanists.  

People that buy into the golden rule, and a 'right way to behave' that everybody should have to follow.  People have value.  That sort of thing.

A couple rule discrepancies depending on denomination and individual humanists opinions, but it essentially works out the same.

Probably something like that but I'd prefer to ask the intelligent theist who actually believes such things to explain it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jerry Falwell Jnr "not a christian" and wanted to prove himself to not be like Snr GUBU 18 1947 November 1, 2022 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 88894 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Christians vs Christians (yec) Fake Messiah 52 7796 January 31, 2019 at 2:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eternal afterlife purplepurpose 129 24879 February 14, 2018 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Supernatural denial, atheistic hypocrisy? Victory123 56 9439 February 1, 2018 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: polymath257
  I wanted to apologize as a Christian.... Polaris 69 12900 April 7, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Why do Christians become Christians? SteveII 168 31218 May 20, 2016 at 8:43 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  AFTERLIFE, XYZ Athene 35 7193 September 13, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Christians. Prove That You Are Real/True Christians Nope 155 51151 September 1, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Christianity with no afterlife RobbyPants 18 3012 February 25, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Norman Humann