Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 8:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the point of morality if you're a theist?
What is the point of morality if you're a theist?
I'm sure we atheists have all heard it before: "What's the point of being good if there's no god?" And we all understand just how silly that is, along with all the attendant claims of moral relativism and secret belief in god and so on.

But the more I think about it, the less that question makes sense, and the more it says about the theist that's asking it. The standard answer to this idea that morality becomes meaningless without a god dictating it is that the person barely held back from immorality by their almighty creator is far more immoral than the person capable of being good without the threat of hell. That's a fine answer, but really, the question doesn't need one: it can be asked back to the theist quite comfortably.

What purpose does the theist think morality serves, if they're asking this? Leaving aside the question of whether or not god made it or not, is there really not a reason for it that the theist can envision? Is it their view that god just created a set of random moral laws for no reason and applied them to humanity, or is there an actual, practical reason for these things?

So, theists, help me out: is there a reason, in the physical world, why your god proposed commandments like "thou shalt not kill," or was he just doing it for funsies?

If you can think of a practical answer, that's the answer to the "good without god" question too.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
What is the point of morality if you're a theist? - by Esquilax - October 20, 2013 at 7:34 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what is the point? Drich 123 7796 September 19, 2020 at 11:04 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2873 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9031 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity The Joker 177 26982 December 3, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  pop morality Drich 862 141004 April 9, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7663 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  A theist dilemma ApeNotKillApe 34 8684 November 27, 2015 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7392 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6215 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7521 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue