Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:21 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A theist dilemma
A theist dilemma
I am an atheist, and I say God exists. I remain an atheist before, during and after making that statement. I do not believe in God, I say God exists.
I cannot believe in God and claim to be an atheist, I cannot be an atheist and claim to believe in God. 

When I, as an atheist, state that God exists, my statement is dishonest, and God does not approve of dishonesty.

When I, as an atheist, tell you that God exists, am I committing a sinful action? If so, why? If not, why not?
RE: A theist dilemma
You're just lying when you say you're an atheist who doesn't believe in a god. You're a theist, though perhaps a maltheist if you dn't worship the god because you believe he's unworthy. Since lying is a sin, then yes. You've sinned. Not that you'd care, I suppose, because you don't worship it. Which of course is in itsself a sin.

If a god came down and proved to me s/he exists, I'd have to stop being an atheist. Though whether or not I willingly worship this god is up in the air.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Well, the idea of "sin" is very specific to certain kinds of glass-jaw gods though. I imagine any actual gods wouldn't deem anything a sin, let alone a bit of lying.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(October 13, 2015 at 8:25 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: When I, as an atheist, state that God exists, my statement is dishonest, and God does not approve of dishonesty.

When I, as an atheist, tell you that God exists, am I committing a sinful action? If so, why? If not, why not?

Define/describe your god please.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 13, 2015 at 9:13 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(October 13, 2015 at 8:25 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: When I, as an atheist, state that God exists, my statement is dishonest, and God does not approve of dishonesty.

Define/describe your god please.

I thought I had posted this in the "Christianity" subforum.
(October 13, 2015 at 9:16 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(October 13, 2015 at 9:13 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Define/describe your god please.

I thought I had posted this in the "Christianity" subforum.
Sorry, hadn't read it. Link me to it please.
(October 13, 2015 at 9:20 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(October 13, 2015 at 9:16 am)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: I thought I had posted this in the "Christianity" subforum.
Sorry, hadn't read it. Link me to it please.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-37358.html
Uh......

What.
The link directs me back to this thread. Not worth my time.
(October 13, 2015 at 9:35 am)mh.brewer Wrote: The link directs me back to this thread. Not worth my time.

I am posing the question in a sub-forum titled "Christianity." I thought that would define clearly enough the God I'm referring to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theist ➤ Why ☠ Atheism is Evil Compared to ✠ Christianity The Joker 177 26844 December 3, 2016 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7336 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  Theist wins lawsuit because he's "afraid of the devil" Foxaèr 17 3565 January 28, 2015 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality RobbyPants 9 4237 December 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Stunned into silence by a theist! zebo-the-fat 17 3258 May 6, 2014 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Question for the theist xr34p3rx 102 22751 April 1, 2014 at 5:55 pm
Last Post: John V
  Foolish theist vs shrewd atheist Yahweh 1 1331 November 14, 2013 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  What is the point of morality if you're a theist? Esquilax 50 12773 October 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm
Last Post: Owlix
  Typical Theist Post freedomfromforum 38 8373 October 8, 2013 at 1:45 am
Last Post: Lion IRC
  Theist. Who is your Lord and Monarch? Satan or Jesus? Greatest I am 23 9901 November 8, 2011 at 12:47 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am