Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veteran's day shout out to those who sacrificed to protect and defend.
Veteran's day shout out to those who sacrificed to protect and defend.
Probably something I heard on the radio got me thinking about it. I've never been 'patriotic' but when I was of age I was really torn. On the one hand I was really repulsed at the thought of shooting people I didn't know. But on the other I felt strongly that if I didn't do my duty it would fall to someone else who deserved it no more than I. I was fortunate not to have to choose given a high draft number.

But there is something -dare I say it- "good" about the motivations of so many people who serve in the armed forces. There is something nobel about sacrificing in order to protect and defend your kin and countrymen. For most it isn't a career path and neither does it benefit their future employment. They risk everything and receive so little in return. They certainly deserve our respect, our gratitude and our support to regain their wholeness when they return.

You can question the motives of the old gas bags who send young men into harm's way for, but not the motives of those who serve. People like Cheney and Rumsfeld make me sick. But the grunts get all my respect even though I'd prefer not to take them up on their willingness to sacrifice.

Messages In This Thread
Veteran's day shout out to those who sacrificed to protect and defend. - by Whateverist - November 12, 2014 at 12:11 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  One of those things... Apollo 26 2015 December 14, 2020 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  International Women and girls in Science Day! Divinity 9 954 February 11, 2019 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  For those of you with tails, a question. Gawdzilla Sama 9 827 November 19, 2018 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Question for those not raised in religious homes Bahana 21 1281 September 16, 2018 at 3:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Those who chose to stay.... Joods 6 441 September 14, 2018 at 5:24 pm
Last Post: brewer
  For those who understand the law better than me (would you want it this way too?) Foxaèr 9 1162 July 27, 2018 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  A bad day for the neighbors ... and a mystery to solve ignoramus 6 475 July 6, 2018 at 3:47 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Take out on Xmas day DOES EXIST....... Brian37 18 2633 December 26, 2017 at 2:35 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  You die one day and you reach the heavenly gates, God says to you, " ErGingerbreadMandude 39 9161 June 16, 2017 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: Regina
  I almost got into an accident and it's been on my mind all day... Veritas 18 2522 March 27, 2016 at 11:30 am
Last Post: Angrboda