Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK - Christianity declining, Atheism rising, but so is Islam...
RE: UK - Christianity declining, Atheism rising, but so is Islam...
(June 10, 2015 at 5:37 am)Pandæmonium Wrote:
(June 9, 2015 at 8:23 pm)Dystopia Wrote: It's not likely Muslims will surpass or level the rest of the british population in the next decades, there's little to worry about - Additionally, the young are often rebellious so there's a higher chance british kids (Muslims) would leave the religion because of (1) secular education and science teaching (2) there's no penalty for apostasy in Britan (I think)

You're right that there is no penalty for apostasy in British law, but Sharia law operates outside of that and there are still very, very harsh inter and intra-community punishments for it.

http://libertygb.org.uk/v1/index.php/new...nced-islam

There have been serious issues in the past in communities where the majority espouse a sect of Islam with harsh conservative sharia courts dominating local lives.

Yes - But at least Britain provides a good mechanism for non-believers to leave the religion without trouble - Unlike in Saudi Arabia. Keep in mind that you can find despicable family reactions to apostasy in more religions - I am Portuguese, and one thing that concerns me is that some high profile leaders of the JWs community supports families kicking kids out of the house if they leave the religion or do things that go against the faith - This is terrible, specially for young adults who don't have jobs, and for minors it is illegal.

Quote:You do know that the UK is not 59.5% Christian? The Richard Dawkins foundation ruthlessly debunked these statistics, the people who replied to such censuses were Christian in name only; when they did a follow up, they were incapable of even answering basic Christian questions which an average American would know.
LOOOL - So now the RD foundation determines who's Christian? Fuck him. If you call yourself a Christian and believe in god, you are a Christian. Dawkins needs to realize you don't need to read the whole bible and go to church everyday to be a Christian, that's bullshit. He doesn't get to say who's a real Christian or not, that's a no true scotsman fallacy - If 59% identifies as Christian, they are Christian. In my country, 80% are Christian and only 20% go to church, but that doesn't mean only 20% are Christian. You don't even need to read the bible or pray to be a Christian, you just gotta believe in Jesus.

Quote:PEW surveys show that Muslim families have more children on average - it's far more likely that their children will retain their faith as apostasy is stricter in Islam.
Quote:Also immigration in Britain is quite high.
Poor families have more children on average - That is true for many immigrants. Africans, latinos and other minorities also have more children - That's very common... People seem to think bigotry against religion is somewhat special because religion is a "choice" and race is not - The truth is I don't buy into the "free will" argument so I don't see anything as a choice. Bigotry against religion being made special because it's not a race is special pleading and still a prejudice. Additionally, it's a special pleading to think Islam is somehow different, it's a religion like any other, and it's prone to the same good and evil.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
RE: UK - Christianity declining, Atheism rising, but so is Islam... - by Dystopia - June 10, 2015 at 10:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Christianity's Valuable Contributions to Humanity: An Examination of Militant Atheism Nishant Xavier 137 6920 September 8, 2023 at 4:18 am
Last Post: no one
  Islam owns atheism with a single verse Loaded dice 341 22072 August 6, 2023 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Bullshit "I'm an atheist but atheism is evil" article in the Grauniad boils my blood GUBU 13 1994 March 30, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Islam is not a Religion, but a..... Omnisofos 41 12621 June 23, 2017 at 2:02 am
Last Post: Regina
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27137 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  I Walked Away From Christianity, but How do I Walk Away From My Family? Rhondazvous 14 2812 October 31, 2016 at 2:57 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Atheists have no morals? Islam & Christianity are actually crazy. bussta33 8 2746 January 16, 2016 at 3:16 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12486 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12156 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10504 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0