Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral
Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral
While theists would have us believe they have a monopoly on morality and the only reason to behave morally, I find that in reality is the atheist who has the most logical reason to act morally.

The atheist who refrains from doing immoral acts in the world where he must live is informed by the same logic that tells him not to pee in the pool where he has to swim.

As a Christian, I knew that my salvation was set in stone. God would forgive me and what other people thought didn’t matter. After all they were persecuting me because of my faith, not my behavior. I had absolutely no bases for moral behavior.

As an atheist, I can’t psyche myself out that way. The world is disinterested and will not forgive me if I fuck up. But I don’t think about that. On any given day, in any interaction, my first thought is not what will happen to me if I do this, but will doing this make me a better person. If someone did this to me could they expect a positive response? If not, then why should I expect them to respond to me positively?

There are a lot of reasons for an atheist to be moral. I’m sure others can add to this list.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Messages In This Thread
Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral - by Rhondazvous - January 4, 2016 at 9:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Hate the sin, not the sinner" is such a logical fallacy Woah0 7 961 September 7, 2022 at 4:24 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 468 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything? Rhondazvous 87 7717 August 22, 2021 at 10:23 am
Last Post: brewer
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 21542 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10175 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The absurd need for logical proofs for God R00tKiT 225 14265 December 31, 2020 at 7:48 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7223 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13479 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 56 7306 November 18, 2017 at 6:11 am
Last Post: Aoi Magi
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6727 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama