Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything?
How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything?
If everything that happens is god's will, then the only measure of right or wrong is success or failure. If it wasn't god's will for me to punch you in the face, then it wouldn't have happened. If I don't punch you in the face it's not because I'm a good person who doesn't do things like that, but because god doesn't want you to be punched in the face today by me.

Appealing to god's will allows people to sleep at night. It wipes the slate of history clean.

This is why empathy is a better foundation for moral behavior, because you have to get rid of the idea of god's will to even recognize that some things are good and some things are evil.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: How Can We Have Moral Direction If God Controls Everything?
Humans need to be absolved of their wrong doings. The almighty is the perfect scapegoat.
Or it’s Gods will that you be a moral agent with free will, and you are culpable for your choices. You also have the difference between God’s will, in what he desires and in what he permits.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Then afflicted believers should change their idea of whatever happens being the will of god...and dial it back a few billion notches to "whatever god permits".  Which, apparently, is an awful lot of terrible shit he doesn't will.

I've always wondered how we explain the (non)response when a god walks into some room and two of his children..his favorite creations, made in his likeness, are fucking eating each other.

Godometer says...permissible. Moral cripple that god is, he sits back..doesn't want to get involved, free will and all that. Free will, lol..the one thing that an omnipotent god can just -never- find a workaround for, even if we can. Not that it matters, since you don't have one. You're a fallen creature. Sin touches every part of your being. You can't possess free will, you can only be sinful.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 10, 2018 at 6:50 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Or it’s Gods will that you be a moral agent with free will, and you are culpable for your choices.   You also have the difference between God’s will, in what he desires and in what he permits.

Yes, people who believe in god always know his will. Then they depend on him to do damage control getting them out of the trouble they got into doing what they thought he told them to do in the first place. Very efficient system of moral decision making.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

(October 10, 2018 at 6:50 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Or it’s Gods will that you be a moral agent with free will, and you are culpable for your choices.   You also have the difference between God’s will, in what he desires and in what he permits.

But if God if God created the universe, then he also created my choices, actions and consequences.  There can be no free will in the framework of a God as described in the Bible.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(October 10, 2018 at 7:13 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:

Yes, people who believe in god always know his will. Then they depend on him to do damage control getting them out of the trouble they got into doing what they thought he told them to do in the first place. Very efficient system of moral decision making.

I think you should get to know more Christians. This seems like an odd and bad view to me.  

But I am curious what this has to do with the context of the thread?  Seems more like prooftexting to me.
It is said that an argument is what convinces reasonable men and a proof is what it takes to convince even an unreasonable man.  - Alexander Vilenkin
If I am shown my error, I will be the first to throw my books into the fire.  - Martin Luther
Yeah, it's remarkable just how much the almighty views coincide with yours.
(October 10, 2018 at 7:18 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:

But if God if God created the universe, then he also created my choices, actions and consequences.  There can be no free will in the framework of a God as described in the Bible.

Boru

What I see in the Bible is that God is soverign, and that man is responsible for the actions and choices he makes. I think you and I have free will; we make rational and moral choices. This is taught throughout the Bible. It seems to me, the materialist position where you don’t have these.
(October 10, 2018 at 7:24 pm)no one Wrote: Yeah, it's remarkable just how much the almighty views coincide with yours.

Poor almighty, can't speak to us in an audible voice that we can clearly distinguish from our own thoughts and feelings and desires. This is spiritual forgery, forging god's name onto our own agenda or the agenda of a church or denomination. It has the moral fiber of anarchy.

--Voltaire

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 10620 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
Thumbs Up Taoism Says That Everything Has an Opposite Philos_Tone 37 4401 November 20, 2018 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Why is religion in the business of moral policing? NuclearEnergy 85 16394 August 13, 2017 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  If someone says science can't explain everything what's the best way to repond? ReptilianPeon 94 12942 December 14, 2016 at 12:03 pm
Last Post: Asmodee
  Money is everything Romney 12 1607 August 27, 2016 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Romney
  Do theists need a threat to be moral? brewer 33 3798 June 14, 2016 at 1:43 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7238 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  Why Does Sincrety Make Everything Okay? Rhondazvous 16 3941 September 27, 2015 at 10:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  My supporting POV on selfishness motivating human moral values smax 60 13107 July 15, 2015 at 5:29 am
Last Post: smax
  Can I be sued for saving someone's life? Yes I can Dystopia 25 5205 July 14, 2015 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: Jackalope