Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 12, 2024, 9:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do I hate creationists (theists in general)
RE: Why Do I hate creationists (theists in general)
(August 25, 2016 at 4:06 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(August 25, 2016 at 2:16 pm)Arkilogue Wrote: I found it quite simple to understand: Take a beam of white light...pass it through a prism ...and you get the same colors...in the same order and proportion, each time...Now where in the rainbow is the original white light?...Morality is inherent in "one of the colors".

I could use the same analogy to support the notion of morality reflecting a universal human nature. Take human nature, pass it through a cultural prism and out come various ethical traditions. The point here is not that various moral traditions reflect a universal source. On that we both agree. Rather, I am saying that different religions base their morality on apparently an similar foundation, when if fact they are conceptually very different.

For example, it is my understanding is that the ethical theory of Islam is basically divine command. In contrast to this, the Church of Rome relies on virtue ethics. Now on first blush it may seem that both ground their moral teachings on the same God, but that simply is not true. Virtue ethics depends upon more perfectly manifesting an essential human nature subsequent to a rational Divine Truth. The Islam ethical theory reflects belief in a God that transcends reason and thus the commands supposedly given by special revelation are considered impervious to reason. These are polar opposite notions about God's nature.

It's very politically correct to see a common core to all religions traditions , but that's just wishful bumper-sticker "coexist" theology. I'm all for finding similarities where they actually exist, but it's not in anyway helpful to gloss over essential differences.
Bumper sticker?!

Try the will of GOD for the sake of peaceable advancement as described by all the prophets and messengers spanning time and geography.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Do I hate creationists (theists in general) - by popsthebuilder - August 25, 2016 at 11:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information I hate human race,civilization and people in groups. MountainsWinAgain 48 14447 March 25, 2020 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3707 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  What if Creationists were Athiest for a day? ScienceAf 59 6218 August 29, 2016 at 2:24 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Hate KUSA 47 7565 December 28, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Why do people hate school shooters? MusicLovingAtheist 84 19502 November 24, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Elskidor
  The place of rage and hate Lemonvariable72 45 8031 November 20, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: Surgenator
  Entry requirement for creationists Anomalocaris 25 4541 May 1, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  what do christians (and people in general) mean by "feeling empty inside"? Jextin 37 14946 April 20, 2013 at 6:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  why i hate religion in general Jextin 2 1868 April 9, 2013 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Hate is Not the Opposite of Love Loading Please Wait 30 15369 September 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger