Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 1:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hate
Hate
Is it wrong to hate?

If so, please explain why.

If not, when is it alright to hate?
RE: Hate
(December 23, 2015 at 12:41 pm)KUSA Wrote: Is it wrong to hate?

If so, please explain why.

If not, when is it alright to hate?

Who am I to judge? Hate if you want. Not sure that's the best way to go through life, but then it's your life. Not mine.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
*shrug* I get on well with most people, some I love and a very few I actively hate. This is the way I'm built and I'm not about to change.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Deepseated interpersonal hatred is wrong insofar as any unnecessary suffering to the self or others it may cause, due to how it affects one's own behavior as a result of that deepseated interpersonal hatred. But only if it does that.
As with many things, I think it's comes down to individual circumstances.

Is it okay to hate a person because of the colour of their skin? No, as far as I'm concerned.

Is it okay to hate an individual under certain situations: Yes.

Is it okay to hate the vermin of ISIS? Hell yes.

Is it okay to hate me? If you have justification to, yes. If not, no.

Personally I don't have a problem with disliking, or loathing, or hating certain individuals/groups/others. In my opinion life is too damned short and stressful to pretend to like people or hide your feelings. Of course, it's different in a professional situation where you have to keep your personal feelings to yourself.
Dying to live, living to die.
(December 23, 2015 at 3:45 pm)Evie Wrote: Deepseated interpersonal hatred is wrong insofar as any unnecessary suffering to the self or others it may cause, due to how it affects one's own behavior as a result of that deepseated interpersonal hatred. But only if it does that.

So, is it OK for me to hate someone if I make sure I only cause them necessary suffering?

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(December 23, 2015 at 3:50 pm)Beccs Wrote: Is it okay to hate me?  If you have justification to, yes.  If not, no.

But if anyone does hate you, they're missing out.
(December 23, 2015 at 3:51 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(December 23, 2015 at 3:45 pm)Evie Wrote: Deepseated interpersonal hatred is wrong insofar as any unnecessary suffering to the self or others it may cause, due to how it affects one's own behavior as a result of that deepseated interpersonal hatred. But only if it does that.

So, is it OK for me to hate someone if I make sure I only cause them necessary suffering?

Boru

Well are you a dentist? A dentist often gives people necessary suffering.

If the short-term suffering has a long time health benefit, I'd consider that necessary suffering.

But I do think it's also important that it's consensual. Consensual necessary suffering good for your long-term health that ultimately reduces your suffering, isn't so bad.
Hate
I appreciate the replies so far. I do want to clarify one thing.

My question regarding hate is not about acting on it in a way to harm someone. That really should have a thread of its own.
I know that hate doesn't necessarily lead to that, I'm saying I only think it is wrong when it does though.

But I am also including very minor forms of harm: Like insulting someone and hurting their feelings when you otherwise wouldn't if you were less hateful.

Hate often contains resentment and resentment can lead to vengeance, that's the way I see it. I don't like retributive justice. I don't think it's just.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information I hate human race,civilization and people in groups. MountainsWinAgain 48 14043 March 25, 2020 at 11:21 pm
Last Post: Macoleco
  Is there a logical, rational reason why hate is bad? WisdomOfTheTrees 27 3542 February 4, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why Do I hate creationists (theists in general) ScienceAf 92 13953 August 27, 2016 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Why do people hate school shooters? MusicLovingAtheist 84 18783 November 24, 2014 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Elskidor
  The place of rage and hate Lemonvariable72 45 7791 November 20, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: Surgenator
  why i hate religion in general Jextin 2 1852 April 9, 2013 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Hate is Not the Opposite of Love Loading Please Wait 30 15239 September 23, 2011 at 5:46 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Frank Discussion on Hate tackattack 76 30788 October 17, 2010 at 3:20 am
Last Post: ChromodynamicGirl