Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true?
(December 24, 2016 at 10:47 am)bennyboy Wrote: In the end, we play word games, and believe that the words represent something real-- even "spin words" like "justification".  But as soon as we spin a foundation, no matter how plausible it seems to us, we spin an entire universe-- our world view-- out of words and little more, because it all stands on that foundation.
I don't think that's the case.  It's true that our sounds and symbols have largely developed atop of a series of accidents, but where truth is concerned, it's not accidental that the words we have selected represent the concepts that they in fact represent; the particular words are inconsequential. So, when you say:
(December 24, 2016 at 10:47 am)bennyboy Wrote: This is humanity's greatest achievement, I think: to live in a world completely imagined, and to manage not to know so.  For whatever is "out there," it cannot be what is "in here."  And what else do I have?
...I hear you saying something like, "We imagined that the atomic number of gold is 79," but that's not true.  That's an essential property of gold, whether or not we call it such, or change our symbols so that what is currently represented by putting "7" and "9" together is represented by some other lines and squiggles.  Is there an important distinction between "in here" and "out there" to be made here? I'm doubtful.  For, in so far as we have subjective experiences in an objective reality, what's "in here" is often representing what is "out there," and "out there" in an unrepresented sense that is wholly separate from the properties we perceive is either nonexistent or unknowable in terms (as it exists in-itself) that I can't conceive to be of any consequence that isn't trivial.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? - by Mudhammam - December 24, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek philosophers always knew about the causeless universe Interaktive 10 1315 September 25, 2022 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why is murder wrong if Many Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics is true? FlatAssembler 52 3943 August 7, 2022 at 8:51 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  How To Tell What Is True From What Is Untrue. redpill 39 3673 December 28, 2019 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Is this Quite by Kenneth Boulding True Rhondazvous 11 1543 August 6, 2019 at 11:55 am
Last Post: Alan V
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4289 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12042 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 117091 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
Video Do we live in a universe where theism is likely true? (video) Angrboda 36 11409 May 28, 2017 at 1:53 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Is it true that there is no absolute morality? WisdomOfTheTrees 259 25702 March 23, 2017 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 52560 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb