Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 7:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules
Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules
The Rules of the site state that "Discussion of possible alterations to these rules is encouraged." It is in this spirit that I am making this post. What has sparked it is that I am finding that when I occasionally defend the freedom of expression, this is treated opportunistically by some to suggest that I both advocate and practice defining words arbitrarily or for no reason. I do not think I have ever defined words in this way in these forums and though I have asked several times for evidence that I have done so, it has not been forthcoming.

Also I thought it would be useful to be able to refer people to this thread when off-topic allegations about my use of words arise in other threads, in order to minimise the disruption to the fair discussion of the important topics we are exploring there - eugenics, right-wing ethical failures, capitalism, religion, authoritarianism, and left wing politics. In short, I defend people's right to use their owns words when they are posting as long as they keep within the rules. I think it highly unlikely that anyone will actually think this means they can post entire literally gibberish sentences repeatedly but if they do, fair enough, push down the troll plunger and blow up the culprit (subject to the normal checks and balances of course).

So far the only experience I have of people posting stuff that is literally gibberish is one or two very limited examples posted to try and trash my defence of freedom of expression, but these tend to blow over after a couple of replies. The forum is still functioning, anarchy has not broken out, and everyone including the perpetrators continues to post reasonably coherently. I don't think it's a problem.

However this continues to be an area which results in a lot of confusion and I would therefore like to propose that the following sentence is added to the the General Rules and Guidelines. This will reassure people that they are actually free to say what they think here. I'd be interested in other people's views on possible re-wordings of the proposal prior to formally taking soundings in the form of a poll of users.

---

6. Freedom of expression

We support the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas in these forums. We recognise that new, unusual or complex opinions may be difficult to get across; while we do not condone repeated posting of blatent gibberish, we do not take a controlling stance over the way people express their ideas. In responding to the expression of ideas that people find challenging or difficult, we suggest a guiding principle should be the phrase "I disapprove of what you say, but I will fight to the death for your right to say it." Provided people do not break other rules, they can feel free to say what they think here.

---

I should say the first sentence of this proposed amendment is almost a direct quote from the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which I think would sit well in a forum of atheists anyway. The quote about the right to say things despite disapproval is from Evelyn Beatrice Hall.

The proposed addition is deliberately not prescriptive in giving examples of what is not acceptable. The judgement of the moderating team will still be needed in extreme cases, which I think will be very few and far between. However I believe that the addition of the clause will tip the balance more firmly in favour of freedom of expression, where at the moment the culture of the forums seems to be rather unsupportive of freedom of expression and in favour of compulsory adherence to some rather one-sided, supposed 'facts', or alternatively in my experience, the selective quoting of dictionary definitions as if that were proof that there is some rule against expressing a particular point of view.

I therefore advocate this change, but as ever am interested other people's opinions, both for and against.

Messages In This Thread
Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules - by Existentialist - October 25, 2010 at 2:58 pm
RE: Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules - by Tiberius - October 25, 2010 at 3:03 pm
RE: Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules - by Existentialist - October 26, 2010 at 3:03 am
RE: Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules - by Tiberius - October 26, 2010 at 4:40 am
RE: Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules - by Existentialist - October 26, 2010 at 4:14 pm
RE: Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules - by Rhizomorph13 - October 26, 2010 at 10:24 pm
RE: Proposed Alteration to Forum Rules - by Shell B - October 27, 2010 at 8:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Suggestion for a minor rules change. Ravenshire 24 6301 July 8, 2015 at 9:12 am
Last Post: Napoléon
  just noticed the rules Coffee Jesus 28 4931 April 26, 2014 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: psychoslice
  Why is having a mod on the ignore list against rules? Something completely different 147 31245 October 31, 2013 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Religious threats and the forum rules? Something completely different 17 6011 June 2, 2013 at 8:00 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Rules for the R'lyeh Forum Love 18 5638 May 16, 2013 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Rules Change Shell B 16 5522 November 14, 2012 at 5:49 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Proposed change to rep point system, no removals, edits only Angrboda 15 7700 October 31, 2012 at 7:01 am
Last Post: jonb
  Proposed Award - New Member of the Month Jackalope 7 3908 January 2, 2012 at 11:14 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Proposed Award - Kook of the Month Jackalope 54 24959 December 30, 2011 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  When complaining about other users who have broken the rules discussion Violet 4 2261 September 18, 2009 at 6:13 am
Last Post: Retorth