Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth?
RE: Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth?
(March 15, 2018 at 8:24 am)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(March 15, 2018 at 8:17 am)Grandizer Wrote: And from the second Wikipedia link, a paragraph which serves as a good response:

Of course, I have biases, and of course, I will never be able to control for all of them satisfactorily. But it does make a difference to acknowledge that one has biases and make an effort to address them. Besides, the question was about whether or not it is the "heart" that leads to the formation of beliefs, rather than the "head". One could be utterly biased, and yet still have their "head" do all the "talking".

Yeah, I read that.  I have to wonder how persistent the effect of that education is, and whether or not the corrective effect does not wane with time.  Regardless, the bulk of people lack such education and are thus not benefiting from any correction effect.

It seems like these studies apply to the general population, but I wonder what the outcome would be if it was theists in one group and atheists in the other. I do suspect there will be differences, maybe not in terms of one group handling biases better than the other, but in terms of having different sets of priorities (which may imply different sets of biases).

Quote:In case I wasn't clear, the heart/head dichotomy was just a metaphor for the dichotomy between non-rational and rational processes of belief formation and development.  In that sense, no, one could not be biased and still have the head do all the talking as it is a part of the definition of bias that it is not a rational process/influence.

So, if I understood you correctly, by "non-rational", you mean "driven by biases overruling logic/reason" rather than "emotional". So this means one can't be "biased for logic/reason" in this sense. Fair enough.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? - by Grandizer - March 15, 2018 at 8:51 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is The Truth. disobey 81 6703 August 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What is truth. deepend 50 3079 March 31, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Truth deepend 130 4989 March 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Truth about Ethnicity onlinebiker 41 2678 September 2, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  ...Truth? Definitely Disillusioned 93 19153 June 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1055 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  Is there objective Truth? Soldat Du Christ 455 48583 November 7, 2016 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8255 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Liking your Truth henryp 39 8358 January 4, 2016 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Heat
  Truth is Stranger than Fiction ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 6 2744 July 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho