Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 8:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Truth about Ethnicity
The Truth about Ethnicity
Claiming ethnicity is not about where your ancestors came from.

It is picking a period of time - and saying "my family starts here." It is also denying that the group you pick as ancestors (geoligically) were once immigrants to that area.

The Irish did not evolve in Ireland.

So if you identify as "white" you are denying your oldest ancestors - the humans that evolved in the Rift Valley in Africa.

And - as old time racists noted - one drop of black blood makes you black........

Conclusion - we're all black....

So what's all the commotion?
RE: The Truth about Ethnicity
(September 2, 2020 at 7:50 am)onlinebiker Wrote: So what's all the commotion?

If you have to ask, you're still part of the problem.
I don’t pick my ancestors geoligically [sic]. I’m only very distantly related to basalt.

The problem is that people who look like their ancestors came from the Rift Valley are treated badly. The notion that there’s no such thing as ethnicity and that it doesn’t matter is just pretty fucking stupid.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 2, 2020 at 7:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I don’t pick my ancestors geoligically [sic]. I’m only very distantly related to basalt.

The problem is that people who look like their ancestors came from the Rift Valley are treated badly. The notion that there’s no such thing as ethnicity and that it doesn’t matter is just pretty fucking stupid.

Boru
And as long as people have your attitude - "race" will be a problem....

Only by realizing that all people have common ancestors and are equal does the problem go away.
(September 2, 2020 at 8:03 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(September 2, 2020 at 7:54 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I don’t pick my ancestors geoligically [sic]. I’m only very distantly related to basalt.

Boru
And as long as people have your attitude - "race" will be a problem....

Only by realizing that all people have common ancestors and are equal does the problem go away.

Race and ethnicity aren’t the same thing.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(September 2, 2020 at 8:04 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(September 2, 2020 at 8:03 am)onlinebiker Wrote: And as long as people have your attitude - "race" will be a problem....

Race and ethnicity aren’t the same thing.

Boru
True - race is simply picking an earlier point in time than ethnicity.

Somehow I think you might be uncomfortable with the FACT that you, I, OJ Simpson and President Trump all came from the same ancestors.

Sorry cousin - we did....

Big Grin
So ....... there's no problem in America? good to know ...
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(September 2, 2020 at 8:11 am)onlinebiker Wrote:
(September 2, 2020 at 8:04 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Race and ethnicity aren’t the same thing.

Boru
True - race is simply picking an earlier point in time than ethnicity.

Somehow I think you might be uncomfortable with the FACT that you, I, OJ Simpson and President Trump all came from the same ancestors.

Sorry cousin - we did....

Big Grin

Nope, not uncomfortable with that at all- one human 'race', full stop. But you, I, OJ Simpson and President Trump all come from different cultural backgrounds and social groups with which we identify.  That's what ethnicity is.

I understand and agree with your point that there's nothing of any biological significance about ethnicities. But ethnic groups are primarily cultural, not biological.

Boru
White people don't have the same problems as black people, it's a simple fact.

It's the same fact that separates rich people from poor people.
(September 2, 2020 at 8:15 am)ignoramus Wrote: So ....... there's no problem in America?     good to know ...
I didn't say that - now did I?

I said we are all black - by a racist definition...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is The Truth. disobey 81 6493 August 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What is truth. deepend 50 2895 March 31, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Truth deepend 130 4555 March 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? Angrboda 63 8792 March 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Last Post: John V
  ...Truth? Definitely Disillusioned 93 18825 June 30, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1044 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  Is there objective Truth? Soldat Du Christ 455 46520 November 7, 2016 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 7755 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  My ethnicity RozKek 43 3035 July 11, 2016 at 7:34 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Liking your Truth henryp 39 8268 January 4, 2016 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Heat