Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 3:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
...Truth?
...Truth?
Hey guys. I'm trying to find truth. I feel like it's worth finding. I'm currently agnostic. All I really want right now is to hear people legitimately defend their position. I'm pretty fed up with worldviews in general. I've got a few questions here that I'm just barely opening up. I'm not trying to be terribly profound; this is my first query post here and I just want to get some ideas flowing around that I can look into.

I've noticed that a lot of atheists pride themselves on not being "duped" or of not "living in a fantasy world," presumably referring to theism, deism, pantheism, or anything that accepts a supernatural element to the world of any sort. I'm just wondering, where in an atheistic worldview is there any impetus for this search for truth? From an atheistic point of view, truth has no intrinsic value (if I'm wrong here, I'd love to hear an argument for an intrinsic value of truth from an atheistic perspective), so in an isolated world, there's no reason to search for it apart from whim, and your search for truth on a whim would hardly be a reason to criticize someone else for arriving at a conclusion you deem false. An atheist'd have to go Nietzsche's direction along with the other postmodern philosophers and say that truth has no worth and that it doesn't matter whether we believe this or that—the thing that makes something worth believing is simply whether or not we believe it. I've also heard this facet of the issue argued further as "I'm concerned that wide swaths of humanity are duping themselves," but I fail to see from an atheistic perspective why there's any reason not to dupe yourself along with 'em or why you should care if others do, from a logical standpoint.

Another clear aspect of this issue, more related to this last point than to the intrinsic-value-of-truth part of the question, is the social problems associated with religion—i.e., the public practice of it. Granted, a good portion of Christians, Muslims, and many other religions cause harm in the world, but I would argue that, certainly in the former case and I hear in the latter case as well (although I'm not well-versed in Islam), those who cause harm to other people directly through their religion aren't living as their religion demands. In other words, the social issues in the world arising from religion seem to rise from an imperfect practice of religion, not the religion itself. (Once more, if you have an argument to the contrary, I'd love to talk about it.) It's the classic cliché: "I have nothing against Christianity. Christians, on the other hand...." Regardless, this is a different issue from what I'm talking about and springs from the first, so please don't begin a conversation about not liking religion because the religious infringe on your postmodern right to believing whatever you want. If that's the only reason you care, please just move on to the next topic. I'll ask about that later. What I'm concerned with here is why atheists care so much about finding the truth about the world from a philosophical perspective.

- Caleb
RE: ...Truth?
You don't have much of a point. Non-atheists don't have fundamentally rational reasons for valuing truth either. I'd go so far and say that the fundamental reason for anything you do isn't rational by definition -
if it were rational, it could be derived from more fundamental reasons using logic, and would therefore not be the fundamental reason e.g. why you value truth.

As humans, we just value truth most of the time because that's just how we are. Who knows, maybe it's an evolutionary by-product that came with our survival instincts. Fake news about sabretooth cats got you removed from the gene pool pretty quickly back in the day.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Agnostic or not Mormon, you're doing fine !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The theist would say that, because their god is the source of all truth and the ultimate end, a search for truth is an endeavor to get closer to god. After the necessary Kierkegaardian leap of faith into whatever worldview, theists do have a reason to find truth.

As for this being fundamentally rational, I'd argue that there are no worldviews that are fundamentally rational. All require the leap into belief. I can argue this if you like. Past that point is what I'm talking about. Once theists establish a reason to be rational and a foundation for it, they then have an impetus to search for truth. I don't see the same in atheism—after establishing rationalism and a foundation for it, I don't detect an immediate reason to find truth.

As for fake news about sabertooth cats, that's a completely different matter. Telling the truth about something, while beneficial in some instances, isn't in many others, and that's beside the point. These are two different issues: "functional" truth such as "there's a sabertooth cat about to attack" and philosophical truth such as "do I even exist." For the atheist, sure, there's a reason to value the former, but I see no reason to value the latter.
(June 28, 2017 at 3:40 pm)Insufferable Caleb Wrote: The theist would say that, because their god is the source of all truth and the ultimate end, a search for truth is an endeavor to get closer to god. After the necessary Kierkegaardian leap of faith into whatever worldview, theists do have a reason to find truth.

No they don't, they are just deferring it. Why would they want to get closer to god?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Current era US Christians actually RUNNING away from Commandment and Jesus endorsement forbidding adultery, so yeah, why would they want to be closer to God while they are running away ??
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

What is Truth?
How do you define Truth?

I define a true statement as Truth. A statement is true if it accurately describes reality.
Reality is that which is... right? The real world...

Leaving aside solipsism, the way our minds gather information concerning reality is through the senses... and we've been ingenious enough to build apparatuses that allow us to enhance those senses and measure beyond them, thus allowing us to apprehend a more complete picture of reality.

What atheism or religion has to do with this is beyond me... well... not really. Tongue

The problem is that religion claims to know a truth. A truth which it puts beyond the reach of any possible measuring device.
The obvious question that arises is: how do/did the religious people acquire that information? And this leads to the usual answer in which tales of old are brought forth... thus keeping the mechanism forever out of the reach of actual seekers of the Truth.

I'm a curious person. I want to know how reality works. What is real and what isn't.
Mankind, however, can tell lies... so a claim of Truth does not necessarily mean Truth. One is then left with the task of believing the claimed Truth or not.
If no plausible mechanism exists, through which I may independently arrive at the same Truth, then I cannot believe the claim. It doesn't mean the claim is wrong... it's just unbelievable.
If the claim provides a plausible mechanism to verify it, like science usually does, then I can, at least mentally, verify it and check if it is believable.

The value of Truth is the value of honesty. Do you want to be honest with yourself? Or do you not mind being an involuntary liar?
(June 28, 2017 at 3:50 pm)vorlon13 Wrote: Current era US Christians actually RUNNING away from Commandment and Jesus endorsement forbidding adultery, so yeah, why would they want to be closer to God while they are running away ??

That, too, but my point was a different one, namely that choosing closeness to god is just as arbitrary as choosing truth.

And god said: I am the truth!
I said: How do you know that?
god said: Because I am god.
I said: How do I know you're god?
god said: Because I said so.

Truth can be a funny animal. When discussed in one aspect, many people can agree on what is true. When discussed in another, you end up with factions.  

I'm not a big philosopherizer. I'll go with what these guys say truth is and is not: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/truth/

(i'm not a big spellifier either)
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
@mh.brewer
Dunning Kruger God. I feel that's a great idea. There's a bestseller in there guys.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is The Truth. disobey 81 6633 August 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  What is truth. deepend 50 3026 March 31, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Truth deepend 130 4826 March 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Truth about Ethnicity onlinebiker 41 2658 September 2, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? Angrboda 63 8864 March 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Last Post: John V
  The Nature Of Truth WisdomOfTheTrees 5 1050 February 21, 2017 at 5:30 am
Last Post: Sal
  Is there objective Truth? Soldat Du Christ 455 47819 November 7, 2016 at 5:39 am
Last Post: GUBU
  A question for those who believe truth is not absolute GrandizerII 92 8084 July 21, 2016 at 5:39 pm
Last Post: quip
  Liking your Truth henryp 39 8297 January 4, 2016 at 1:39 am
Last Post: Heat
  Truth is Stranger than Fiction ILoveMRHMWogglebugTE 6 2740 July 22, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho