Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is Facebook and do you find it valuable
RE: What is Facebook and do you find it valuable
(July 28, 2020 at 2:00 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: I feel I should leave FB but I have so many memories captured on the site in images. It is a great way to keep in touch with family members but, as has been pointed out by LFC, it is a dumpster fire mush of the time!

Why didn't it facilitate closeness like I was hoping?

It provides such an easy way to connect with people you would think that more connection would happen. I used to throw parties and I would get little response and then almost everyone I invited showed up! Or, the other thing where a couple people respond and even they fail to show Confusedadface:.

It is just so weird to me how seemingly difficult it is to maintain human contact without some other driving force like employment. I've had work friends and we do things together outside of work but we lose touch once we no longer work together. This same thing happened with Church and is why I've though about hosting a similar churchlike thing for atheists.

I speculate that the reason closeness is lacking is because the distance people lay between their offline personas and the obviously carefully curated online personas makes it automatically difficult to parse the two personas together. Really, it strikes me as a travesty of a "social" life that the stories people signal on social media sites like Facebook. I should know, I use Facebook mostly for posting pictures of sceneries from walks that I want to view again later or just remember by. I don't care about pictures of what people had for dinner, I mean, what the actual fuck do I care what you had for dinner? Does it come with a recipe, so it at least has some possible use?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

Messages In This Thread
RE: What is Facebook and do you find it valuable - by Sal - July 28, 2020 at 3:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  As Seen on Facebook . . . Shell B 289 27109 August 10, 2021 at 10:19 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  When Morons Find Each Other Minimalist 7 1047 November 30, 2018 at 11:24 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  No I did not find Mich McConnell but... Brian37 8 1399 June 20, 2018 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  As you age, do you find yourself becoming more or less irritable? Foxaèr 48 8440 May 4, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Find out how much your fellow forum members are getting screwed Catholic_Lady 68 7240 April 13, 2018 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Catholic_Lady
  Let's heathenize facebook Foxaèr 8 1029 March 21, 2018 at 3:38 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  What would you do if you woke up one day to find you were the last person alive? Edwardo Piet 64 16432 October 16, 2017 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: c172
  Minds, Facebook alternative Foxaèr 0 623 July 28, 2017 at 9:34 am
  Uh-oh, maybe Facebook is finally gone Foxaèr 7 1558 June 16, 2017 at 10:02 am
  Can Someone Help Me Find this Word? Rhondazvous 28 5469 February 19, 2017 at 7:26 pm
Last Post: Rhondazvous