Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] What God's justification for eternal torment?
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment?
(December 1, 2020 at 1:19 pm)Confused-by-christianity Wrote: Would we die and just see God with eyes and hear God talk?  
Spirit eyes and spirit ears, presumably - but it seems like that would be enough, right?  We refer to that sort of stuff all the time.

Quote:Would I be absurd to deny my experience?
Mostly, it seems so.  We refer to them routinely and it was an experience that convinced you that god was real.  

Quote:I'll have to wait and see if I'm right.  (or not).
-and that's where we differ. 

I don't think that you have to, because...as we've seen (lol) we both refer to what we can see and hear, to experience, to answer questions in this life.  Are there things about this life that we can see and hear - are there experiences in this life which provide the basis for rational conclusion about it?  Things like whether or not it's a soul forge, or..if it were, what kind of a forge it is?  

Quote:I don't know (again) what a black box is.
I listened to people who say they had a near death experience.  One person in particular said he was taken to a "life review".  He said he was watching his life take place in front of him but he could also feel how his actions had impacted others.  He said the angels and Jesus were there with him watching as well - sharing their feelings with him on the matter.  That's where part of the guess I made came from.
It's interesting how well reported ndes align with the cultural expectations of those reporting the stories.  The life review made for a watchable movie.

Quote:Are you saying some faithful people use copouts when they can't explain something?
If so, yeah, that probably happens.
People often get caught up in arguments and screw it up !!  They do all sorts of things when they get emotional - like defend a position they don't actually believe, or defend a position that isn't what they intended to say in the first place, or try to outsmart someone ??!!??  
Sometimes sell off an opinion as a fact etc etc  people are like that I guess.
I'm not overly concerned with theists being incapable of explaining this or that in context. I'd focus more on the private and intimate aspect of it, rather than any accusation that they were doing something to other people.  Trying to outsmart them or get one over on them.  If anything, they're trying to get one over on themselves.  

In many cases, a person suggesting the impossibility of knowledge is, themselves...convinced - and convinced by the same sorts of things that we all refer to for all of our other knowledge about every other thing.  Open to the idea of things which might give the belief the possibility of being a provably true statement.  They're merely closed to, unfamiliar with, or had never considered the possibility of it being a provably false statement.

A defense mechanism for cherished beliefs supported by a collaborating culture. We can see the latter half above in another posters response - the notion that because people can come up with a bajillion gods, gods can never be proven false. People can come up with a bajillion answers to the question of 2+2, as well. Doesn't affect the provability or falsifiability of a given answer. If we can't know, it isn't on account of how many gods people can imagine - but theists and atheists alike have been bombarded with statements like that equally for all of our formative years. It becomes an agreed upon fiction between people who, otherwise, might not agree on anything else god-related.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Smaug - August 24, 2020 at 12:25 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Smaug - September 17, 2020 at 2:08 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Drich - September 9, 2020 at 11:02 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Angrboda - September 9, 2020 at 12:10 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Drich - September 14, 2020 at 3:17 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 7, 2020 at 6:48 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 8, 2020 at 8:45 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by GUBU - October 11, 2020 at 4:50 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 7, 2020 at 6:23 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 11, 2020 at 2:43 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Sal - October 11, 2020 at 2:42 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - November 24, 2020 at 10:33 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - November 24, 2020 at 10:14 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Apollo - November 25, 2020 at 12:33 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - November 26, 2020 at 10:04 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - November 25, 2020 at 10:31 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Apollo - November 26, 2020 at 12:22 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by The Grand Nudger - December 1, 2020 at 1:53 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Chas - December 6, 2020 at 8:09 pm
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Apollo - December 15, 2020 at 11:15 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Foxaèr - December 15, 2020 at 11:25 am
RE: What God's justification for eternal torment? - by Apollo - December 15, 2020 at 1:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm a Universalist - Can anyone convince me of 'Eternal Damnationism'? The Kreisel 16 1443 February 26, 2021 at 3:02 am
Last Post: beepete
  Did Yahweh do us a favor by denying us eternal life? Greatest I am 30 2616 July 26, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  Jesus suffering vs eternal suffering of temporary sinners purplepurpose 72 9358 November 19, 2018 at 4:55 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Eternal afterlife purplepurpose 129 24958 February 14, 2018 at 8:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Little children who died without Baptism go to eternal Hell?! Jehanne 34 6048 February 29, 2016 at 6:22 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Biblical justification for scripture cherry picking ?? vorlon13 8 2988 November 17, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Q: What is trans-galactic, eternal and omni-everything? A: God, necessarily? Whateverist 21 5632 August 11, 2015 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Speculate on Jesus 3 days of HELLISH torment !!! vorlon13 136 25667 August 9, 2015 at 8:53 pm
Last Post: McDoogins
  Eternal Hells - Do not exist! themonkeyman 11 4123 June 17, 2014 at 11:01 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  God is god, and we are not god StoryBook 43 12452 January 6, 2014 at 5:47 pm
Last Post: StoryBook