Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 6:10 am

Poll: Could a god prove that he was God?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
81.82%
9 81.82%
Never, no matter the evidences.
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Serious] Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God?
RE: Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God?
(January 22, 2023 at 1:28 pm)emjay Wrote:
(January 21, 2023 at 3:18 pm)Objectivist Wrote: [...]
I know, it's one of the most difficult things I've ever learned.  Read my response to GrandizerII and see if that doesn't clear things up a bit.  It's hard for me to explain something that took me years to understand which means I have more work to do.

That's why I come to places like this forum.  In trying to explain this it helps me to clarify my own thinking.

Here's a link to a more in depth discussion of this topic:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqx0mingAF8

Apologies for the interruption but just wanted to say...

It's been a long time since I've been seriously interested in philosophy but on the strength of this video, and what you've said so far on the subject, this has me absolutely fascinated... it's just struck a chord on many levels for me. So next job is to read the book it recommends in that video, Ayn Rand's Introduction to Objectivist Epistomology.

From the moment you started talking about all this it's had me enthralled, as something that appeals both it its message and its method... ie the latter being that there just seems something systematic about all this that really appeals to the way my mind works. As for the message, I think it will be great to learn about but I think it will also teach me a lot about general philosophy by means of its comparison with it, so a win-win there... sometimes that's the best way to learn I think; by noticing the differences between things.

So yeah, welcome to the forum and thanks for introducing me to these ideas Smile
Emjay,

Thank you so very much.  You don't know how happy I am to hear your words.  My mission is complete.  I set out to get one person to take an honest look at these ideas.  There is a system, the most beautiful system and you have only seen a tiny fraction of it.  I am glad that you are seriously interested in philosophy again.  No man or woman can live without one.  I think the reason these ideas have resonated with you is that you can see their relevance to your life unlike post modern philosophy.  Do you mind if I copy your words and send them to Dr. Valient?  I think they would make him happy.  He has lots of videos on youtube.  I urge you to watch more.  His name is James valiant.  

One word of caution. I would not start with Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology. If you don't have a grounding in Objectivist metaphysics you will be lost. When I say it took me years to understand, I mean many years and I had that firm grasp of metaphysics that is absolutely necessary. I would start with Leonard Piekoff's series on youtube. I'll give you the link. There are 12 videos and if the link doesn't list to the playlist just do a search for the philosophy of Objectivism by Leonard Piekoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwTsagjP...CROvtu9NVR

You have made my day and my month and my years.  Thank you.
"Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture,  an intransigent mind, and a step that travels unlimited roads."

"The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody has decided not to see."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Could an omnipotent and omniscient god prove that he was God? - by Objectivist - January 22, 2023 at 1:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Could God be impotent? Fake Messiah 7 1110 February 25, 2023 at 10:18 am
Last Post: brewer
  Does Ezekiel 23:20 prove that God is an Incel Woah0 26 2745 September 17, 2022 at 5:12 pm
Last Post: Woah0
  Am I right to assume, that theists cannot prove that I am not god? Vast Vision 116 33306 March 5, 2021 at 6:39 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 7070 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The little church that could. Chad32 21 4235 May 25, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  These Guys Could Give Religion A Good Name. Minimalist 2 820 March 15, 2018 at 12:45 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Could Hell exist? Europa! 20 4645 September 16, 2017 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8810 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Would you attack the Church if you could? Macoleco 108 14092 December 19, 2016 at 2:31 am
Last Post: energizer bunny
  Could Ireland be restored? EringoBragh 28 4258 August 25, 2016 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4