Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 8, 2024, 10:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Issue of Idolatry in Abrahamic Religions
The Issue of Idolatry in Abrahamic Religions
Here is the stance of the Quran as it is mentioned in the Chapter called AL-Anbyah in the Quran. The same story is also mentioned in the Bible.

Abraham questioned his father and his people, “What are these statues to which you are so devoted?”. They replied, “We found our forefathers worshipping them.” He responded, “Indeed, you and your forefathers have been clearly wrong.” They asked, “Have you come to us with the truth, or is this a joke?” He replied, “In fact, your Lord is the Lord of the heavens and the earth, Who created them ˹both˺. And to that I bear witness.” ˹Then he said to himself,˺ “By Allah! I will surely plot against your idols after you have turned your backs and gone away.” So he smashed them into pieces, except the biggest of them, so they might turn to it ˹for answers˺. They protested, “Who dared do this to our gods? It must be an evildoer!” Some said, “We heard a young man, called Abraham, speaking ˹ill˺ of them.” They demanded, “Bring him before the eyes of the people, so that they may witness ˹his trial˺.” They asked, “Was it you who did this to our gods, O  Abraham?” He replied ˹sarcastically˺, “No, this one—the biggest of them—did it! So ask them, if they can talk!”

https://quran.com/al-anbya

https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Parallelism:_..._the_Idols

I mentioned an extract of this Chapter directly in order to discuss its relationship with the anti-blasphemy actions that have started to spread in many places especially in the UK. Here is a good article on that:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/protests-outs...00074.html

So my argument is that if you are a theist, you must know that God does not like idols. This is something that is mentioned in many places in all Abrahamic books.

So the second question is “What is an idol?”. In İslam we have about 99 names that are mentioned in the Holy Book to designate God or Allah. So anything that is not these 99 things all at once (at the same time) does not fall into the definition of God or Allah. So everyone knows that a statue that you may have bought as a souvenir in Nepal (for instance) is not God or Allah. So if you are a theist you do not worship that.
   Now in my definition, any extreme attachment to anything that is not “The power that arranges the movement of galaxies and stars” is a type of idolatry. That could be money, that could be anything in my life my house, my car, by body even my country, even my planet, all of the mosques of the world put together, a copy of a religious scripture, all the libraries of the world, basically everything.

Real spirituality (as defined by one of my favorite Muslim Scholars) is a Matrix (Movie, 1999) philosophy. The main subject here is that “none of these is real / Only spirit / God is real).

So in my understanding (and I am not saying that people should not be protesting or reacting in any peaceful means when they feel attacked or insulted in some way) extreme attachment to any type of religious object is also a form of idolatry.

I believe that it’s not ok to make fun of religious figures and I have the right to express that thought wherever I like.  But the murder of the Teacher Samuel Paty in France in October 2002 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Samuel_Paty) for me is an act of idolatry. And so are all those protests mentioned in the article above.

Spiritual people are people who are focused on inner realities. People who are focused on external objects (as defined by the Quran itself) are just people “Who do thing because their ancestors were doing exactly the same thing”.

And this is the very reason while people hate dogmas and all sorts of dogmatic / Zealous belief systems. And I think this is going to be the main challenge of all theists during this century. I think we are being challenged to rectify – basically everything – about our belief systems.
[Image: 7151bc275de2d3d422106a4008215efe.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
The Issue of Idolatry in Abrahamic Religions - by Leonardo17 - July 20, 2023 at 6:43 am
RE: The Issue of Idolatry in Abrahamic Religions - by Belacqua - September 22, 2023 at 7:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gender Issues and Religion (especially Abrahamic Religions) Leonardo17 4 350 January 4, 2024 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  The issue of Rİtual Washing (of dead coprses) in Islam Leonardo17 8 1260 August 13, 2023 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  The issue of Blasphemy in Islam Leonardo17 46 3688 October 8, 2022 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  The issue of Sin Leonardo17 23 2200 September 30, 2022 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  The Abrahamic sacrifice of his son. Mystic 182 18958 March 29, 2018 at 10:29 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Is Islam more or less violent in Its teachings then other religions? Goosebump 38 6352 June 9, 2015 at 3:36 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Western Religions Have No Monopoly on Lunatics BrianSoddingBoru4 19 3056 May 29, 2015 at 12:56 am
  Shia-Sunni issue and proofs? Mystic 27 6209 March 28, 2015 at 6:27 pm
  Bill Maher: Islam in not like other religions mralstoner 1 1108 September 14, 2014 at 7:57 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Muslim leaders issue a fatwa against anyone living on Mars Gooders1002 19 4952 February 24, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Assimilate