Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, what do you believe is the best argument for the existence of a deity?
RE: Atheists, what do you believe is the best argument for the existence of a deity?
(July 12, 2011 at 12:41 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: I said faith is the only way belief in God is possible, considering the Christian position. Therefore arguments for material existence don't address that subject.

This sounds like the argument from nonoverlapping magisteria to me, which some scientists make from the other point of view, obviously.

So if I said I had faith in talking unicorns as benevolent, all-powerful beings, science could say nothing about whether they exist or not? Would you then have to accept my faith in unicorns as perfectly logical? "Faith" can make it acceptable (and untouchable) to believe in anything at all if science has to step back and not challenge such theories about spiritual or mythical creatures. As humans we no longer worship the sun and the sky and everything else as deities but people once did. Should we accept those beliefs as well and say that science can't for sure tell us whether a god abides in the sun because someone has (or had) faith in him? What makes the Christian god any different? How is not a scientific question that a human being was born of a virgin or that the said human ascended on the third day after his death? It either happened, thus breaking what we know about how people are born and die, or it didn't happen. How is not a scientific question that a god made the physical world and now apparently intervenes in millions of people's lives? So no, if God is real, I don't think we should be able to come to think this is true solely on faith. He either works in our physical world and in people's lives and there should in theory be some way to discover this, or he doesn't. If it's the latter, he's completely irrelevant. If it's the former and there is no way to discover this in theory, he is capricious at best and totally random at worst, thus rendering him far from being worthy of our worship or contemplation.
Our Daily Train blog at jeremystyron.com

---
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea | By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown | Till human voices wake us, and we drown. — T.S. Eliot

"... man always has to decide for himself in the darkness, that he must want beyond what he knows. ..." — Simone de Beauvoir

"As if that blind rage had washed me clean, rid me of hope; for the first time, in that night alive with signs and stars, I opened myself to the gentle indifference of the world. Finding it so much like myself—so like a brother, really—I felt that I had been happy and that I was happy again." — Albert Camus, "The Stranger"
---

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, what do you believe is the best argument for the existence of a deity? - by everythingafter - July 13, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24019 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4100 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 10824 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3831 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2547 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1869 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3277 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 6909 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Do I believe Atheists are going to hell? Mystic 292 41488 February 3, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: haig
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7906 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus