Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 1:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, what do you believe is the best argument for the existence of a deity?
RE: Atheists, what do you believe is the best argument for the existence of a deity?
Hmm, the best argument for the existence of a deity would have to be the way things work outside of the Earth, as we have a great deal of the of the Earth explained satisfactorily. The amazing suspension of celestial bodies in space and the way they interact with one another. For example, the way a star with outlying planets is a self cleaning oven. It exists for long enough to nurture whatever is there and then purges it all. However, this is simply a good argument to me because it is incomprehensible. This is much like what leads believers to believe, so I am slightly embarrassed to admit it, no offense. I do realize that certain things like gravity, anti gravity and the various workings of energy make most of what I just said possible, but I'm still pretty wowed by it all.

The reasons it still doesn't work:

1. Just because something is currently or personally incomprehensible, does not mean it is not explainable by some means outside of human grasp, in the future or already explained.

2. My being awestruck isn't a good argument. I am awestruck by worthless, cool-looking rocks.

3. Just because the universe/multiverse does a good job of being what it is, doesn't mean something made it that way. That idea basically places a preconceived notion in place of the unexplainable.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, what do you believe is the best argument for the existence of a deity? - by Shell B - July 14, 2011 at 1:00 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24700 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4244 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11072 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3975 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2587 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Quantum Physics Proves God’s Existence blue grey brain 15 1936 January 2, 2019 at 11:08 pm
  Why are you chasing the idea of the existence of a God? WinterHold 26 3324 August 7, 2018 at 2:05 pm
  11-Year-Old College Grad Wants to Pursue Astrophysics to Prove God’s Existence Foxaèr 49 7024 August 2, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Do I believe Atheists are going to hell? Mystic 292 41682 February 3, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: haig
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7958 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus