Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 5:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true
RE: Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true
(April 22, 2012 at 6:01 pm)Jireh Wrote:
(April 22, 2012 at 11:40 am)Stimbo Wrote: Other than our own consciences

so why do you have a conscience, but animals do not ?

I will not say this again; please do not take my words out of context. Here is the context, for reference:

(April 22, 2012 at 11:40 am)I Wrote:
Quote:There is nobody that can say, you are wrong and right.

Other than our own consciences, family, friends, law enforcement, society at large, then you have a point. Under your hat.

Besides which, have you ever owned a dog? They most certainly know right from wrong and know when they have done something wrong, the working definition of a conscience. Then we have these beasties:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyd6om8IC4M?rel=0

The point I'm illustrating is made in the first twenty seconds but feel free to watch it right through if you like.

Even if no other animal on the planet has a conscience, that still does not imply that it had to come from somewhere outside of us, implanted at some point in our gestation (which raises the question of when this operation occurs?). We are a social species, living and working together - not necessarily in harmony but at least towards the same basic ends. We tend to care what other people think of us; generally speaking, we don't want to feel like an outsider. We also tend to imagine how our actions affect other people, would we like them to happen to us? Thus we will often question our own actions: how would others react if I did this, what would people think of me for doing that? (As for the other, well...) It's called empathy. It's notable that people who display a lack of empathy, actively or otherwise, will often rub people up the wrong way. See my very first comment in this post for a good example. In the worst cases, such individuals get labelled criminals and sociopaths.

As the great philhellenes once said in a video, there is someone I have to face every day who knows everything about me, who judges me and will remember everything I do. He's in the mirror.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true - by Cyberman - April 22, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 5765 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3256 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 708 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5167 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 16939 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6343 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1000 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 26039 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19106 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7125 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico