Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 11:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense.
RE: The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense.
1. All life will end in peace and prosperity and the end result is for each life to be without suffering.
-Will it now, and here I thought that all life would end in death, with a pretty healthy mix of peaceful and horrible.

2. Honour and Value is a worthy goal of suffering for a period, given that life will end in peace and without suffering.
-Sounds life a value judgement to me, which I don't personally agree with. Also, if suffering is the only tool by which you could learn these things see below, if it isn't..then we come full circle...

3. In order to create some suffering that would bring about honour and value, some suffering would not.
-I'm guessing you're on-board with suffering being the only teaching tool then..sounds like an excuse for an inept tutor/creator imho.

4. There is wisdom in enriching the sentient honour and value experience with different type of suffering in the system.
-Oh yeah? Again, if suffering were the only way of doing this it wouldn't be a display of wisdom, but ineptitude. We don't beat the ABC's into our own children now do we?

5. Honour and Value gained through the system of struggle and suffering, cannot be given without such a system.
-Why?

6. Therefore over all system of suffering could have been created to enrich sentient life experience.
-Don't get me wrong, for the purpose of argument it -could have been- but that doesn't really jive with what you're hoping to establish in the next line and is again a massive display of ineptitude from a being that I would expect much more out of, personally.

7. A benevolent Creator therefore seems compatible with the world we live in.
-Not even close. This isn't even an issue if we're willing to say -The creator did his best- lulz. Maybe we're very friendly towards this creator, and we propose that it at least got close. Horseshoes and hand grenades. Now, lets throw the hail mary -could we do better? Seems so, and if your creator were benevolent, don't you think it might be willing to give it's creations an audience, lend that godly might? Or are there things which, once done, cannot be undone, even by this creator?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. - by The Grand Nudger - July 25, 2012 at 9:59 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2468 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3663 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7300 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 3032 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3204 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8147 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13902 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 51089 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 46770 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4637 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus