Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 11:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense.
RE: The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense.
Easy, the beauty and value of this world is a very simple appraisal to make considering how horribly shitty things could have gone (and still may) at any point. Relative to that, this place is a wonderland. Even the shitty things have a sort of awe about them. Nothing is directed at us, not even the shitty things, there is no malice, there is no intent.

When you invoke conscious, directed, creative effort...and specifically by a creative agent that is presumed to be very very smart.....the picture darkens. If this creative force had within it the power to go any way it wanted with it's creation it goes pitch black. You can't assume incompetence or carelessness, as you might with a child who accidentally hits their sibling, you begin to suspect malice, as with an adult who is fond of stabbing people.

I'm personally of the opinion, that if we're willing to invoke gods as a remotely plausible or respectable proposition -even in the absence of evidence- that a much stronger argument can be made for an infinitely malicious god than has ever been made for any benevolence, of any measure, whatsoever.

To you, the suffering you see seems necessary. You justify this by reference to nature and life, an area which is in no way enhanced or elaborated upon by the concept of a benevolent creator...that's just something you decided to shoehorn into it. You have not established that any of this suffering is necessary at all in light of your creator (and alternatives have been offered in spades). Is this the is-ought argument of suffering as a necessity with a side of goddidit? Seems to be.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. - by The Grand Nudger - July 26, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2468 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3663 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7300 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 3032 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3204 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8147 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13902 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 51089 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 46770 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4637 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus