Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 7:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
A Real and Significant Biblical Contradiction?
Big Grin 
RE: A Real and Significant Biblical Contradiction?
(August 14, 2012 at 8:44 am)Rhythm Wrote: Oh ffs, first we immerse ourselves in this ghostly fantasy and now we imagine ourselves to be demi-gods fighting a hydra.

You should both look into playing a quality MMO, it'll engage the same parts of you that the narrative is clearly appealing to without all the nasty side effects.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTISsDBuTe6K7n4wUDfMRe...hse4q-AQSw]

STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIEND!

Big Grin

Actually, Iolaus was Hercules' nephew, but he was not a demigod. Guess the moral of that tale is that even a superhero sometimes needs the help of a normal person. Hercules likely could not have slayed the Lernaean Hydra without the help of his friend. How d'ya like that IP?

:p

(August 14, 2012 at 12:38 am)Minimalist Wrote: I can't believe that the flies are still circling this particular turd of a thread.

Beelzebub must be proud!

Wink

[Image: lord-of-the-flies-savage-boys1.jpg]

Now you did it! I'm craving a pulled-pork sandwich, and it's still two hours till lunch. (If only my ship would come in--I'd have Dinosaur BBQ catered every day.)

(August 14, 2012 at 1:38 am)cato123 Wrote: I try to be polite; however, I have grown tired of this Biblical self-contradictory conversation. Why should anyone care if The Bible is self-contradicotry when it violates laws of nature and rapes the reasoning mind of man?

Spockrates, God lied when he gave Moses the cure for leprosy. Kililng one of two captured birds in an earthen vessel over running water is factually incapable of curing leprosy. You may now claim that Moses was just one of a long line of deceived prophets. Is this the inspred word of God? Or is it an example of the ignorant mindless drippings from a leader of a superstitious ignorant tribe inhabiting a small parcell of land over 2000 years ago in the Eastern Mediterranean?

Thanks for your opinion, Cato. I don't find your remark impolite at all! Glad you spoke up.

Smile

Does Moses say killing a bird is a cure for leprosy, or does he say killing a bird, cooking it and eating it was a ritual to seek the forgiveness of God before asking God to cure the leprosy? But if you want to prove Moses a false prophet, there is a way to do it many Christians would find acceptable: Prove that one of his predictions of the future never came true. According to Moses, this is the litmus test to determine who is a genuine prophet and who is not.

17 The Lord said to me: “What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. 19 If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account. 20 But a prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death.”

21 You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the Lord?” 22 If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the Lord does not take place or come true, that is a message the Lord has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him.

(Deuteronomy 18)

The reasoning seems to be that only a God who is omniscient (or perhaps exists in) the future knows the future. There are many hundreds of predictions of the future made by Old Testament prophets. Nearly every ancient city within a thousand-mile radius of Jerusalem had its history predicted by these men who claimed to be God's spokespersons. All you have to do is prove one false to show the prophet who uttered it had no business saying God spoke to him.
"If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains (no matter how improbable) must be the truth."

--Spock

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Real and Significant Biblical Contradiction? - by spockrates - August 14, 2012 at 9:23 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 10266 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Contradiction or Forgetfulness Ferrocyanide 11 1452 February 16, 2022 at 8:54 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Rebuke on Biblical Prophecy Narishma 12 1512 May 28, 2018 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Knowing god outside a biblical sense Foxaèr 60 10817 March 31, 2018 at 1:44 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  Record few Americans believe in Biblical inerrancy. Jehanne 184 23331 December 31, 2017 at 12:37 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Dr. Craig contradiction. Jehanne 121 26100 November 13, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  So, what would an actual 'biblical' flood look like ?? vorlon13 64 14890 August 30, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Christmas Traditions and Biblical Contradictions with Reality Mystical 30 5317 December 8, 2016 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Biblical Date Rape chimp3 38 7033 July 29, 2016 at 10:35 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Biblical Incest Foxaèr 35 6487 July 19, 2016 at 11:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13