Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 6:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
(March 12, 2013 at 6:25 pm)Rhythm Wrote: I'd wager that the things that aren't part of that "most" that modern science has right are precisely those parts that conflict with your faith, and that this is where the problem (real or imagined) resides in much the same way as your problem with humanism appears to be more accurately a problem with secularism. Or, to put it another way, when any given thing opts out of a particular fairy tale you begin to smear that thing from any angle you perceive as available, drawing guilt by association and creating a web of dissimilar or only mildly related concepts which- to your mind- become indistinguishable from each other and synonymous with "the enemy"........

But I could be wrong.

I am unsure of whether evolutionary theory is the best explanation because of religious reasons, and I am unsure because I don't know if it will be the way that people understand biology in 1000 years. A lot of things that people thought was certain 1000 years ago aren't certain.

I don't think that the Bible teaches that evolution is necessary incompatible, I read a study that said 48% of seminary presidents accepted evolutionary theory. I don't really know. It is definately a controversial issue in the Christian church. There are problems with theistic belief, honestly, I really couldn't say whether the problems are serious or not. It really is tough to understand exactly what Genesis intends to me, if it is allegorical, etc. Augustine had non-literal approaches to Genesis, so it is not as if theology was invented very recently to accommodate evolutionary theory (though some theologians have chosen to turn their craft into something like a used car dealership). There does seem to be some very good evidence for evolutionary theory (such the finches in the gallapogos islands and the genetic evidence and the fossil record, etc).

I think it probably is true, but I could be wrong.

I am not someone who is trying to get creationism into the schools and I am not a Young Earth Creationist.

Rhythm, as for your other commens about the feeling of words dominating the mind more than the logic, this is something that I have struggled with and feel that I have some victory over, although to have complete victory means to have a direct experience of language in which the signifier becomes the signified. Words are symbols.

But you know, Rhythm, atheists do this too. Atheists treat concepts such as "rationality" and "evidence" as if they are non-culturally defined concepts. They speak about them in shallow black and white concepts terms. They are symbols used to express very complicated concepts.

There is another kind of black and white distortion that happens when people process information. It happens when people get so focused on trying to be "nuanced" and "intellectual" and avoiding "propaganda" that they actually give these symbols a greater weight than they actually have. When they do it, they feel like they are seeing through propaganda or something like that but when you see others do it, it is apparent that they don't view the world in a nuanced way, they view it like a showy coffee table magazine, eager to prove its sophistication.

I see a common example of this in people refusal to accept the categories of the French revolution, of left and right, in identifying social movements based on their funding. People think they are "avoiding propaganda" and "seeing through the lies" because they avoid left-right dichtomization, but actually they blur the economic-cultural makeup that defines modernity.

You know the reason that you see most of the things you do is because someone paid the person to say that, right? That is where most of your knowledge comes from, through the economic system.

I care about the left and the right because money is what drives people more than anything else, on the left, you have all these nice sounding words but at the end of the day, you know what it is all about right? They want, to quote Dave Barry, "To move money around from some people to other people".

That is a good way to study philosophy, to study who gains, to study why they gain, and how the movement fits into broader social and economic issues. Culture is deeply related to economics and the economics of left and right define modernity.

That is why I am a conservative. I used to be a leftist and I still think like a leftist. I am a conservative who is suspicious of nationalism and anyone claim to power. I am a conservative who sees the benefits of capitalism. I do not consider myself to be a capitalist, only see the economic system as one manifestation of provision.

And I am a conservative because I believe that liberals, with all their nice words, at the end of the day really just want money for their pet programs, and the way that they define what is most important is that they just make it up. One cares about this, another cares about that. They just make it up.

If you want to read a book about what conservatism is about, I would suggest Russell Kirk's The Conservative Mind. I used to own a whole lot of books by people like Paul Krugman and Naomi Klein and Noam Chomsky and people like that. Honestly, I just like the conservatives more. They seem more honest.

Liberals always seem like they have something to sell.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Cinjin - March 11, 2013 at 11:32 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Cinjin - March 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by jstrodel - March 12, 2013 at 7:23 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Tonus - March 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by C3P0 - March 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Nine - March 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Cato - March 17, 2013 at 1:01 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Tonus - March 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 18, 2013 at 4:20 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Tonus - March 22, 2013 at 10:35 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 23, 2013 at 3:56 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 23, 2013 at 5:24 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 23, 2013 at 6:06 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 24, 2013 at 10:18 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 24, 2013 at 11:29 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 25, 2013 at 4:43 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 25, 2013 at 8:05 am
Re: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by frz - March 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 581 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2270 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4826 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11578 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4796 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2227 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective/subjective morals Jazzyj7 61 4711 February 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9551 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27413 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Subjective Morals and Societal Whims InteresedUser 114 31131 May 25, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Bunburryist