Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 4:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on?
(March 14, 2013 at 11:16 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Some more strident and literal minded Christians think that scriptures can only be trusted 100% or not at all. That means they believe that if one minor thing is in error then how can you know if parts critical to the faith are not also in error? I do not find 'biblical inerrency' a very helpful approach to have.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. You have two options with the Bible:
1. It IS the Word of God
2. It IS NOT the Word of God.

There is no "sorta-kinda" option.

Anyone who disagrees can feel free to explain to me the supernatural powers you use to determine which parts are divine, which parts are divine but need decoding and which parts are human insertion.

Quote:I have no problem with considering Genesis as a collection of legends and parables well suited to conveying spiritual wisdom to an ancient story telling culture.

By what supernatural method can you determine that Genesis is allegory and the Gospels are not?

Quote:I think God was able to take existing folklore and fold a spiritual meaning into it.

And you have supernatural powers that tell you God was at work here and we should discard the simpler explanation that human beings heard the story and imported it into the Bible?

Quote:Then 400 years go by and you get Moses and that starts the written record. I think most of the things that happened starting with Moses happened pretty much the way they are described.

There is no evidence that the account of Exodus, or any of the other major historical milestones in the OT, actually happened. But you have supernatural powers that tell you otherwise, right?

Quote:But he still rounds some numbers, like 100,000 men went into battle, as opposed to say 983,532. Numbers have symbolic value, so when I see a number like that I don't think of it as a historic fact but a number pointing to some timeless spiritual principle.

Putting aside the supernatural powers you've used to pull this number out of the air...
You realize even 100,000 men is about 20 Roman Legions, right? You really think Moses managed to muster nearly the combined might of the Roman Empire? From what was a comparatively tiny Eastern Med kingdom?

Quote:Generally, I don't have a problem with someone who "made their home in...that fish's abdomen". Miracles are miracles. So, the Gospels happened pretty much as described, miracles and all. As for Revelations, I think that it is so obviously symbolic one would have to be insane to take it literally.

And what supernatural powers do you have at your disposal to tell you these things again? That making a home in a fish's abdomen is accepted as just another miracle but literally interpreting Revelation is just crazy?

Quote:It depends on what you mean by flaws. I understand the point though. Sometimes I think God puts those in there as prompts to remind us not to take the text literally and look for the meaning within the text.

Your supernatural powers tell you so, right?

Quote:If a God of infinite Love and Wisdom chose to communicate with hairless apes, I would think he would have to express Himself in analogy and parable because any thing else would be completely beyond our comprehension.

Luckily, we hairless apes have people like you who have supernatural powers that can tell us which parts are literal, which parts are parable and how to interpret what is parable.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Cinjin - March 11, 2013 at 11:32 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Cinjin - March 11, 2013 at 12:21 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by DeistPaladin - March 15, 2013 at 11:41 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Tonus - March 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by C3P0 - March 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Nine - March 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Cato - March 17, 2013 at 1:01 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Tonus - March 17, 2013 at 10:05 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 18, 2013 at 4:20 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by Tonus - March 22, 2013 at 10:35 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 23, 2013 at 3:56 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 23, 2013 at 5:24 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 23, 2013 at 6:06 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 24, 2013 at 10:18 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 24, 2013 at 11:29 pm
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 25, 2013 at 4:43 am
RE: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by smax - March 25, 2013 at 8:05 am
Re: Atheists; what do you base your morals on? - by frz - March 18, 2013 at 11:27 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, whats your view on "Stefan Molyneux" Aneiu1 1 581 November 13, 2021 at 7:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Atheists: Your facade cant disguise Renio92 19 2269 September 2, 2020 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Atheists: What if Trump addressed your issues in America. Would you vote for him? Sanau 38 4824 March 30, 2020 at 8:15 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11571 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  What is your stance on magic fellow atheists ? tahaadi 42 4793 October 13, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2226 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective/subjective morals Jazzyj7 61 4708 February 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9551 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Atheists, what are your thoughts on us Agnostics? NuclearEnergy 116 27408 November 30, 2017 at 12:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Subjective Morals and Societal Whims InteresedUser 114 31110 May 25, 2017 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Bunburryist