Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 9, 2024, 7:31 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, the death penalty and abortion...
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion...
(March 20, 2013 at 3:12 am)catfish Wrote: You want to know how that's "inviting" a zygote in? You are aware that you have ovaries, right? Do I need to explain the rest?

By that logic, shouldn't the man be given responsibility for the resultant baby, since he has so many more sperm than the woman does eggs?

Besides, knowing the risks of a thing doesn't mean you're necessarily accepting of each and every consequence of doing it; driving a car means you're more likely to be in a car accident but that doesn't mean you want to be, nor that every car accident that you're in is your fault. Going out in a short skirt might increase your chances of being raped, but that absolutely does not mean that you wanted it. I could keep going.

Quote:Still comparing an individual human life to other non-human species?

Well... yes, unless you can mount a convincing argument that the zygote is somehow above all other forms of life that we consider it acceptable to kill? And just stating that it's a human doesn't really count, and I've stated why earlier on.

mo66 Wrote:Yes, well you should know that there are parts of the world that practices murder, rape etc. on a daily basis. I guess you think it's fine since their "intuitive and moral boundaries" allows them to do that.

Well, first of all I'd like to ask what parts of the world you think allow rape and murder on a daily basis, because I guarantee you that such a society would collapse in on itself pretty quickly.

But also, I'd like to point out that we're allowed to subscribe to a degree of cultural morality without losing our ability to draw lines entirely. Murder and rape are demonstrably harmful, and we have this magic ability called "empathy," which allows us to understand why those things are immoral.

Honestly, do you really think that the only thing that lets us know that rape and murder are bad is the bible? Is that seriously what you think?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by Tiberius - March 10, 2013 at 10:36 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by Joel - March 15, 2013 at 9:25 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by Joel - March 16, 2013 at 11:47 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by smax - March 18, 2013 at 4:29 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by Joel - March 18, 2013 at 10:51 am
RE: Atheists, the death penalty and abortion... - by Esquilax - March 20, 2013 at 6:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abortion-Killing: The Silent Genocide: 2 Billion Deaths Victims Worldwide. Nishant Xavier 343 16409 September 2, 2023 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: MarcusA
  Church of the atheists and prayer and supplication Eclectic 23 1959 September 19, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Abortion poll Agnostico 75 7609 June 20, 2022 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Abortion: 10 years as an atheist and I still don't get it Nihilist Virus 330 31589 March 5, 2020 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Miracles and their place, and Atheists. Mystic 35 4491 October 4, 2018 at 3:53 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2220 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1756 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1139 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Atheism & the Death Penalty. Jehanne 135 26449 February 2, 2016 at 9:42 am
Last Post: Spooky
  A Non-Religious Person's Meaning in Life and Death AFTT47 17 5021 January 12, 2016 at 12:52 am
Last Post: Whateverist