Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 4, 2024, 1:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is belief in a higher power required?
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required?
(June 26, 2013 at 1:37 am)Godschild Wrote: You know nothing about scriptures

You interpret scripture so that it reflects your personal viewpoints. I can only assume this is because you like rape.

Quote:It's to bad they did not teach you about God's justice, then you would see that what happens when people disobey God, I know it sounds severe but, the omniscient God knows best.

You can be omniscient and still be malicious. As God obviously is.

GC Wrote:and you use a biased interpretation instead of reading with an open mind

You're saying that your interpretation of the Bible is 100% accurate? Prove it.

Quote:So please show me the word rape in those scripture verses, I seemed to have missed it, or maybe it's hidden in the Hebrew or Greek, which I'm sure you can point out, right.

" I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor."

As the wives are obviously not going to consent, this is rape by any definition. You're seriously arguing that it's not rape if the word 'rape' isn't in there. That is how weak your justification is.

So, we've established that Godschild thinks rape is okay (as long as you don't use the word, of course). Let's see where this goes.

FtR Wrote:Numbers 31
They attacked Midian just as the LORD had commanded Moses, and they killed all the men. All five of the Midianite kings – Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur, and Reba – died in the battle. They also killed Balaam son of Beor with the sword. Then the Israelite army captured the Midianite women and children and seized their cattle and flocks and all their wealth as plunder. They burned all the towns and villages where the Midianites had lived. After they had gathered the plunder and captives, both people and animals, they brought them all to Moses and Eleazar the priest, and to the whole community of Israel, which was camped on the plains of Moab beside the Jordan River, across from Jericho.

A DIRECT command from your god to slay innocent people.

Quote:Before I get into these verses I have a question for you specifically, why do you not object to other nations during that time of destroying cities and people in the same or even worse manner, you would call them great battles but never an atrocity. Never once have you mentioned such atrocities by other nations, why pick only on the Israelites? You call me biased.

The subject doesn't come up because it's not relevant. Those other nations are not perfect and omni-good. The fact that you have to compare your God to imperfect humans is proof that you can't justify calling him perfect.

But, since you brought it up, those other nations were committing atrocities against each other all the time, and none of us would say that is good.

Quote:Yes they attacked as God directed, but what makes you believe these people were innocent, do you have some historical records that call the Midianites the most innocent people, if so please share it with us? How about the five kings and Balaam son of Beor, do you have history on them no one is privy too?

I'm quite sure I speak for every atheist on this forum when I say that individuals commit crimes and should be judged as individuals. To judge an entire nation for the crimes of a few and sentence them all to death is murder.

Quote:Just where does it say that in the scripture verses you've given, I read them several times just to make sure I did not miss that quote you made, are you parroting again. You have not given any Biblical proof God is evil or even commanded evil, you have given only your thoughts and they do not match the verses you have given.

The Bible, obviously, never calls these actions evil, because the Bible is a biased source. Judging God's actions without Biblical bias reveals just another murderous tyrant in a world full of them.

GC Wrote:I do not play games when it comes to God and His word, that is exactly what you practice and you've allowed others to form your opinions about what scripture says. You have nothing original but I understand that is how narrow minds work, they follow others without seeking out the truth.

Prove that your interpretation of scripture is the only correct one.

Quote:When God calls for something to happen to people whither He directly does it or works through man to cause it, there is a judgement God issues against said person/s and the pronounced punishment. God does nothing arbitrarily, God is not a despotic tyrant.

As God does not justify most of the rules he makes, nor does he follow any of them himself, nor do a great many of them serve any purpose whatsoever, his rules are the very definition of arbitrary.

Quote:Oh we are reading the word of God and God did command punishment upon people after His judgement upon them, how many times must I say that, I mean really can't you understand. God does no evil and if you see that He does then that's on you. I can take most of scripture literally (some is parables and prophecy) and see the loving God of creation, why you can't is not a mystery to me I understand, it's within scripture.

You're right, it's upon us to see the evil of your God and point it out to you. You are blind to it.

Quote:Here you go again demanding I do something, you want to guide me into admitting your right and I'm wrong. Well, guess what I'm not a pig with a ring in my nose to be guided around by you or any other human. My guidance comes from the loving hand of God. You and Esquilax refuse to read scripture and try with an open mind to understand it, I know it is hard, even difficult at times and sometimes it takes years of study to find answers to questions, they are there though. God's proven Himself to me numerous times, so when I find a subject difficult to understand I trust in Him, in time He will answer, in His perfect timing, but like I said until then He's got my respect and I'll trust Him.

And here you go again, going off on a slavering rant about stupid nonsense so you can avoid addressing the concerns we have with the inconsistency of your scripture with reality.

Quote:I have God and Heaven's Army on my side, so your threats are meaningless, God reigns on high, praise Him forever.

[Image: 1290603068_crazy-brazilian-murderer-interview.gif]

(June 26, 2013 at 1:37 am)Godschild Wrote: It's to bad they did not teach you about God's justice, then you would see that what happens when people disobey God, I know it sounds severe but, the omniscient God knows best.

Knowing everything doesn't mean one will do the best thing.

GC Wrote:and you use a biased interpretation instead of reading with an open mind

So, you are saying that your interpretation is 100% accurate? Prove it.

Quote:So please show me the word rape in those scripture verses, I seemed to have missed it, or maybe it's hidden in the Hebrew or Greek, which I'm sure you can point out, right.

" I will take your wives [plural] while you live to see it, and will give them to your neighbor."

As the wives are obviously not going to consent, this is rape by any definition. You're seriously arguing that it's not rape if the word 'rape' isn't in there. That is how weak your justification is.

So, we've established that Godschild thinks rape is okay (as long as you don't use the word, of course). Let's see where this goes.

Quote:Before I get into these verses I have a question for you specifically, why do you not object to other nations during that time of destroying cities and people in the same or even worse manner, you would call them great battles but never an atrocity. Never once have you mentioned such atrocities by other nations, why pick only on the Israelites? You call me biased.

The subject doesn't come up because it's not relevant. Those other nations are not perfect and omni-good. The fact that you have to compare your God to imperfect humans is proof that you can't justify calling him perfect.

But, since you brought it up, those other nations were committing atrocities against each other all the time, and none of us would say that is good.

Quote:Yes they attacked as God directed, but what makes you believe these people were innocent, do you have some historical records that call the Midianites the most innocent people, if so please share it with us? How about the five kings and Balaam son of Beor, do you have history on them no one is privy too?

I'm quite sure I speak for every atheist on this forum when I say that individuals commit crimes and should be judged as individuals. To judge an entire nation for the crimes of a few and sentence them all to death is murder.

Quote:Just where does it say that in the scripture verses you've given, I read them several times just to make sure I did not miss that quote you made, are you parroting again. You have not given any Biblical proof God is evil or even commanded evil, you have given only your thoughts and they do not match the verses you have given.

The Bible, obviously, never calls these actions evil, because the Bible is a biased source. Judging God's actions without Biblical bias reveals just another murderous tyrant in a world full of them.

GC Wrote:I do not play games when it comes to God and His word, that is exactly what you practice and you've allowed others to form your opinions about what scripture says. You have nothing original but I understand that is how narrow minds work, they follow others without seeking out the truth.

Prove that your interpretation of scripture is the only correct one.

Quote:When God calls for something to happen to people whither He directly does it or works through man to cause it, there is a judgement God issues against said person/s and the pronounced punishment. God does nothing arbitrarily, God is not a despotic tyrant.

As God does not justify most of the rules he makes, nor does he follow any of them himself, nor do a great many of them serve any purpose whatsoever, his rules are the very definition of arbitrary.

Quote:Oh we are reading the word of God and God did command punishment upon people after His judgement upon them, how many times must I say that, I mean really can't you understand. God does no evil and if you see that He does then that's on you. I can take most of scripture literally (some is parables and prophecy) and see the loving God of creation, why you can't is not a mystery to me I understand, it's within scripture.

You're right, it's upon us to see the evil of your God and point it out to you. You are blind to it.

Quote:Here you go again demanding I do something, you want to guide me into admitting your right and I'm wrong. Well, guess what I'm not a pig with a ring in my nose to be guided around by you or any other human. My guidance comes from the loving hand of God. You and Esquilax refuse to read scripture and try with an open mind to understand it, I know it is hard, even difficult at times and sometimes it takes years of study to find answers to questions, they are there though. God's proven Himself to me numerous times, so when I find a subject difficult to understand I trust in Him, in time He will answer, in His perfect timing, but like I said until then He's got my respect and I'll trust Him.

And here you go again, going off on a slavering rant about stupid nonsense so you can avoid addressing the concerns we have with the inconsistency of your scripture with reality.

Quote:I have God and Heaven's Army on my side, so your threats are meaningless, God reigns on high, praise Him forever.

[Image: 1290603068_crazy-brazilian-murderer-interview.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Foxaèr - June 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Cato - June 23, 2013 at 2:29 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Cato - June 21, 2013 at 1:21 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Zarith - June 19, 2013 at 10:11 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by wwjs - June 19, 2013 at 11:20 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by fr0d0 - June 21, 2013 at 10:05 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by cneron - June 22, 2013 at 11:23 pm
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by Ryantology - June 26, 2013 at 2:00 am
RE: Why is belief in a higher power required? - by justin - June 27, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Satisfaction Correlated with Religious Belief Neo-Scholastic 38 3378 September 10, 2022 at 4:35 am
Last Post: Niblo
  Belief in white Jesus linked to racism Foxaèr 91 6429 January 1, 2022 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Explanation Required by the 12 guys? + the secret. Ferrocyanide 26 1811 December 20, 2021 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Do you think Scientology sells anyone on its belief? Sweden83 19 1790 December 25, 2020 at 8:34 pm
Last Post: Smaug
  The Dunning-Kruger Effect and Religious Belief AFTT47 18 4199 March 11, 2019 at 7:19 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  When is a Religious Belief Delusional? Neo-Scholastic 266 26201 September 12, 2018 at 5:52 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Bare minimum for belief in Christianity. ignoramus 37 7637 May 10, 2018 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Regarding the power of religion over emotions Macoleco 19 4099 April 1, 2018 at 4:46 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6758 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  How has the church lost power through time? Macoleco 10 1011 September 28, 2017 at 8:46 pm
Last Post: Amarok