Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 9:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you are religious, where do u believe heaven "is?"
RE: If you are religious, where do u believe heaven "is?"
(April 27, 2014 at 5:00 am)Rampant.A.I. Wrote: They used to believe it was a physical place above the earth. Literally.

Now it's a non physical spiritual place, just like God, that no one can find because it's "in the spiritual realm."

If Christians are going to get upset every time they're told their beliefs are imaginary, maybe they should define them in ways that are indistinguishable from imaginary things.

There's truth in this, so let me attempt a closer definition of 'heaven', so I don't get upset.

C1 Judaism had a very varied range of ideas on post-mortem existence, with everything and nothing being in the mix. There was one strong strand that said that when the Kingdom of God arrived on earth, the righteous dead, who had been held with God, would be physically resurrected to a new life on earth.

The Early Xians claimed that, based on their experiences, this strand was broadly correct, with one very strange twist- in one case (Jesus), the resurrection had happened early. Therefore 'heaven' in one sense is a sort of holding room before the resurrection. Little detail is offered in the NT about it, so I would guess it's a decent place, with tea facilities, satellite TV and wifi. However it's not the main event, which is the resurrected life on earth.

I suppose it might be vaguely controversial (blame Cameron) to opine that the best explanation for the very strange twist, followed by the sudden rigidity on resurrection belief, would be that the thing actually happened.

Also, heaven is the 'location' of God, who is transcendent, so 'location' may not be an adequate term here. It's important to understand that within C1 Judaism/Xianity, heaven and earth interlock and overlap in many places and ways. The Temple, in particular, was once the place and the means par excellence for this to occur.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you are religious, where do u believe heaven "is?" - by Vicki Q - April 27, 2014 at 11:57 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do you believe in that hasnt been proven to exist? goombah111 197 24697 March 5, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The Mandate of Heaven atheisthunt 22 3358 February 11, 2020 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3973 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Up Alzheimers in heaven. onlinebiker 73 8347 October 28, 2019 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Ways to Get Into Heaven! Or Whatever You Believe in! Jade-Green Stone 14 2587 January 24, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: deanabiepepler
  Religious fundamentalists more likely to believe fake news OakTree500 30 3836 November 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: no one
  Look i don't really care if you believe or don't believe Ronia 20 7957 August 25, 2017 at 4:28 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  People assuming you believe in a God Der/die AtheistIn 35 10348 July 19, 2017 at 10:24 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Theist Posters: Why do you believe your God exists? SuperSentient 65 14555 March 15, 2017 at 7:56 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  Apparitions from heaven??? Jehanne 217 21586 November 4, 2016 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: Jehanne