Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 13, 2024, 5:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2)
RE: MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2)
(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: Just setting aside for the moment that the Gospels were written too late for any eyewitnesses to have had anything to do with them

No they wasn't.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: , they could possibly have involved eyewitnesses.

High possibility

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: Take Mary's virginity. Who besides Mary could possibly be sure of that, let alone witness it?

Suppose Mary told her own story?

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: Then there is the temptation of Jesus by the Devil. That was just Jesus and the Devil, there were no witnesses. What about the "take the cup away from me" dialogue with god? The disciples were asleep. Who were the witnesses?

According to Acts 1:3, Jesus appeared to the disciples over a period of 40 days, and during those 40 days they wasn't talking about football. He talked to them about the Kingdom and could have undoubtedly told him about praying to God while they were sleep.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: How about the thieves on the crosses? Who could have heard that conversation?

Um, Jesus and the thieves weren't the only ones present, Jenny...there were other people there, in fact, Luke 23:48 tells us just that.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: Jesus and the thieves all died.

Which is why the story could have been told by people that were there, and that would include Mary, as Luke 23:49 indicates.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: What about the women who found the empty tomb and told no one.

They told no one at FIRST. Eventually they spilled the beans.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: That, in case you didn't get it is one one. It's legend. It tells what no eyewitness would no because there was no eyewitness.

Nonsense. Jesus was an eyewitness, and as i'm sure you know the story, he appeared to the disciples...so he was his own eyewitness...and then you have the eyewitnesses of Mary and the other women and not to mention John...all of them were standing by the cross of Jesus.

But I wouldn't expect you to know shit like that, Jenny. You don't look in to this stuff without trying to find ways to attack...but that is ok...that's what I'm here for.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: There was a belief certainly. There was also a belief in a number of other gods and other impossible things. So? We tell legend from fact in part by how long it takes to show up in writing and how it is told.

Oh, is that the criteria? ROFLOL

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: The Gospels look like legend not fact by that standard. Or do you believe in Romulus and Remus. I don't.

What standard? How long it takes to show up in writing and how it is told? So you have some kind of authority to tell someone when they should write something?

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: No. It happened pre-revolution when George cut down the cherry tree. Mentioning time or even era does not make it the work of a historian. Historians evaluate sources and don't conclude all sources are equally valid. Herodotus the Greek ( 484–425 BC), perhaps the very first historian, recognized the difference between hearsay and fact and that some sources are better than others. History has never looked back (pun intended).

Ok, so please enlighten me on why don't you think the Biblical narratives are recording history?

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: I don't agree that there weren't people who probably would have written it down. But that doesn't matter. The point is that they didn't and so we don't have that evidence.

You don't know whether they did or they didn't, Jenny.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: Explaining why we don't have it isn't evidence that anything happened.

And explaining why we don't have it but SHOULD have it isn't evidence that it didn't happen.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: It does not make the thing itself more likely.

It doesn't make it more unlikely either.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: If people can't write, it doesn't make it anymore likely that they would have seen something they couldn't have written about. It doesn't make it less likely. It's irrelevant to whether the thing happened.

I completely agree...but if the people couldn't write, it should come as to no surprise as to why they didn't write things down...you are the one that keep bringing up this whole "they would have written it" thing up, not me. You are demanding a certain kind of evidence that seems improbable based on background knowledge.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: The events that are supposed to have caused all the talk and belief were supposed to have happened in Jerusalem. Yet it remained as you say, Jewish. Damning that.

Yeah but the bulk of the original converts were previously Jewish Big Grin

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: BTW Good job lying about distance. Corinth is less than nine hundred miles from Jerusalem. By road it was about 1,200 miles. Exaggerate much?

How am I lying when I gave the link from which I got the information. Did you even look at the damn thing?

Below is a direct quote from the link...so if you have beef with that, take that up with them.

There are 816.33 mi between Korinthos and Jerusalem and there are 1,913.45 by road.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: And Paul traveled there from Jerusalem on foot according to your bible. So?

I don't know about the traveling on foot thing, but even if he did, so?

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: He established churches.

So?

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: How many Christians were there?

Were there where? In Corinth? Don't know.

(December 15, 2014 at 2:41 am)Jenny A Wrote: And why do distant churches prove anything about what happened in Jerusalem?

Because it shows just how far the belief spread and in what amount of time it spread it, duh.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (Part 2) - by Exian - December 12, 2014 at 12:34 am
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (Part 2) - by Spooky - December 14, 2014 at 12:01 am
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (Part 2) - by Cato - December 14, 2014 at 1:48 pm
RE: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus (Part 2) - by Cato - December 14, 2014 at 3:45 pm
RE: MERGED: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ (Part 1) & (Part 2) - by His_Majesty - December 15, 2014 at 4:19 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  To Atheists: Who, in your opinion, was Jesus Christ? JJoseph 50 2162 January 9, 2024 at 4:28 am
Last Post: no one
  The power of Christ... zwanzig 60 4324 August 30, 2023 at 8:33 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Jesus Christ is the Beast 666 Satan Emerald_Eyes_Esoteric 36 8042 December 18, 2022 at 10:33 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Creating Christ JML 26 3100 September 29, 2022 at 9:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  So has Christ returned TheClearCleanStuff 31 3316 May 20, 2022 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  CHRIST THE KICKER…… BrianSoddingBoru4 15 1455 January 3, 2022 at 10:00 am
Last Post: brewer
  CHRIST THE KILLER..... ronedee 31 3458 December 26, 2021 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
Rainbow Why I believe in Jesus Christ Ai Somoto 20 2830 June 30, 2021 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  In what way is the Resurrection the best explanation? GrandizerII 159 15284 November 25, 2019 at 6:46 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Consecrated virgins: 'I got married to Christ' zebo-the-fat 11 2041 December 7, 2018 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: Angrboda