Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 30, 2024, 2:33 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too)
RE: Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too)
I was never very devout or never really believed strongly god existed but in my childhood I thought Christianity was true - My household was semi-secular. My experiences may be more light that some members here
Quote: Are you of the same religion as your parents or that you were born into?
Yes - Catholicism. But my mom was more devout (she hated churches though) - My dad was a deist
Quote:b) If so, have you questioned your religion, tried other ones?
No
Quote:2) Do you follow the bible/Quran/Torah?
Yes but only the doing good and loving your neighbour part.
Quote:a) Do you interpret it literally or metaphorically? To what degree?
Mostly metaphorically and never took it literally (unless it's obvious)
Quote:b) Would you consider the bible/the Quran/Torah to be the base for your beliefs?
Well since the bible is a pillar of Christianity yes
Quote:c) Would you say that the bible/Quran/Torah is the main source of your morals?
Some of it, but the morality I learned from the bible the way I was taught was useful, most were good principles
Quote:3) Do you follow your religious organisation's doctrine? (please state what your church is, if any)
a) Why/why not?
b) If so, would you say that you do it because it corresponds to your personal beliefs or are your personal beliefs shaped by the doctrine?
No, my mother disliked churches but I was baptised anyway - Generally we considered ourselves catholics but we didn't agree with most of the church
Quote:4) Are there any pastors/rabbis/imams/priests/theologians/etc that you follow?
a) If so, what made you follow their teachings?
No. The priest of a church I went to once knew how to tell jokes though

Quote:5) What is your train of thought in deciding what to believe?
Can you please explain this better?
Quote:6) What would it take to make you lose your faith (hypothetically)?
Just thinking a little and realising I never saw or heard or smelled a god in my life. I was 13 years old. But I didn't generally think much about it - When I hit 18 was when I consciously became an atheist
Quote:Ex-theists are welcome to answer what was true for them when they were religious and include why and what and how changed
I Don't think my experience was bad and I wasn't indoctrinated. I think I learned some basic principles on morality that can be applied secularly (like doing good, being kind, etc) - The difference is that I don't believe in heaven anymore. I also think the church taught me how to organize and captivate people in society if I ever want to form a social group with any purpose.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) - by Longhorn - April 21, 2015 at 1:06 pm
RE: Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) - by Dystopia - April 21, 2015 at 5:31 pm
RE: Questions for theists (and ex-theists, too) - by Goon - April 22, 2015 at 10:17 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is God hiding? or are our eyes too inferior? WinterHold 49 5374 February 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  Questions about the European renaissance and religion to non believers Quill01 6 725 January 31, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Two questions for theists. Edwardo Piet 19 2788 May 13, 2018 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: surreptitious57
  Too Funny! Minimalist 14 2540 November 23, 2017 at 6:59 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 21629 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  [4.1 SECOND Conversion] (without weird fonts too!) ignoramus 59 5382 January 22, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Am I just being too cynical? Eclipse 10 2424 February 9, 2016 at 8:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Religious friend dumps pile of shit in my facebook inbox. Too thick to tear apart. DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 28 8597 November 30, 2015 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Almost Too Funny For Words Minimalist 9 2964 November 4, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Why it is not too late to turn to the Flying Spaghetti Monster Rampant.A.I. 67 13779 July 25, 2015 at 5:40 am
Last Post: robvalue