Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Am I just being too cynical?
Am I just being too cynical?
I hope I am.

With the news that Australia is due to take 12,000 Syrian refugees, our various religious communities are rolling out the welcome mat offering our new residents comfort and guidance.

We've had Christian churches at it for a while now and recently the Muslim faith has begun posting the same messages. 

"Refugees welcome here".

Nothing like a bit of religious competition I say.

Now I'm all for love thy neighbour  and helping those less fortunate, but i can't help to think there is an alternative motive for all this kindness and benevolence. 

Is this an example of humanity at it's best or is this just another recruitment drive aimed at the scared, lonely and dislocated ?

[Image: refugees-are-welcome-here-banner-outside...EEMEPK.jpg]
RE: Am I just being too cynical?
In the case of German churches, I'm pretty convinced they are just trying to do the right thing. In the 60s when we had a lot of turks coming in for labor, they even let them use one wing of the Cologne cathedral as an Ersatz mosque.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

That is amazing news! I'm very glad to hear Australia is helping. Good on you cobbers!

I couldn't possibly comment on other motives being at play. My instinct tells me that the main drive in all this is simply to help. Some groups may have their own agenda, of course. Trying to recruit vulnerable people into religion is absolutely disgusting, if that is what they are planning.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 9, 2016 at 6:57 am)robvalue Wrote: Trying to recruit vulnerable people into religion is absolutely disgusting, if that is what they are planning.

Quite certain that's not the motif. At least not with mainstream church organizations like the Catholics or mainstream protestants.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
That's great to hear Smile
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
You also have to remember Christians make up a large portion of Syrians.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
You mean only 4,000 are coming, but Christians say there are 20,000 Syrians coming? Tongue

Index of my best videos
Are they sorting out the children for the Catholic churches ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

[Image: yviw7.jpg]

Index of my best videos
(February 9, 2016 at 7:49 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Are they sorting out the children for the Catholic churches ?

The lucky ones are prayed for.

The unlucky ones are preyed on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is God hiding? or are our eyes too inferior? WinterHold 49 5136 February 10, 2023 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  Being can come from non-being Alex K 55 7223 January 15, 2020 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Being cannot come from Non-being Otangelo 147 13488 January 7, 2020 at 7:08 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Too Funny! Minimalist 14 2470 November 23, 2017 at 6:59 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20901 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  [4.1 SECOND Conversion] (without weird fonts too!) ignoramus 59 5032 January 22, 2017 at 12:45 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Religious friend dumps pile of shit in my facebook inbox. Too thick to tear apart. DespondentFishdeathMasochismo 28 8499 November 30, 2015 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Almost Too Funny For Words Minimalist 9 2920 November 4, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: ErGingerbreadMandude
  Why it is not too late to turn to the Flying Spaghetti Monster Rampant.A.I. 67 13325 July 25, 2015 at 5:40 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Ha! Too True of all the fuckers Minimalist 13 3933 June 15, 2015 at 2:56 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd