Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 7:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God)
RE: Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God)
(November 4, 2016 at 5:49 am)ProgrammingGodJordan Wrote:
(November 4, 2016 at 5:38 am)Mathilda Wrote: My eyes ... my poor eyes ....

Have trouble reading that but I did skim through it and saw something about Kurzweil. Don't listen to anything that man says.

Kurzweil is quite the inventor.
Albeit, unless one is brain damaged, technological exponential transition is observable, as his graphs entail.

He's a media scientist only out to promote himself to get funding by over selling AI and relying on a team of people to do the work for him. He's been talking about reaching super human intelligence of AI in 2040 for years now based on really a dodgy understanding of how the brain works and assuming that Moore's Law will carry on forever. I lump him in with the likes of Kevin Warwick and Sam Harris. In other words, he sells fantasies.

Sure there's been an exponential curve with Moore's Law continuing, but it's coming to an end. Exponential curves tend to saturate in reality and become sigmoid functions. The scale of the challenge is far greater by many, many orders of magnitude.

The idea of super human intelligence by 2040 relies on the idea of a neuron being a simple integration device. It's not. A single neuron is extremely complex and has more computational power than a whole artificial neural network. We're talking 100 billion neurons and about 100 trillion synapses in the brain. Each neuron has on average about 7,000 synapses. That's just for a single human brain. Each human is part of a population that has evolved over time. Intelligence requires being embodied in an environment, and that takes time. Mechanical movement is many orders of magnitude slower. Any kind of AI will require parameter searching. In the real world this happened with Darwinian evolution.

Not to mention all the other limitations such as the long emergency halting Moore's Law before it even completes, how long it takes us as humans to understand such complex systems as the brain, our ability to measure the brain, materials research and how to power such processing power. A human brain works on 100 watts. You need many megawatts to power a super computer to even get close to simulating one second of a human brain in action. Fact is we just don't yet know what form of computer will come next to take us to the next step. And the next computers will dictate the kind of solution that is available. A quantum computer that needs to be cooled to a fraction of a degree above Kelvin will lead to very different solutions compared to a DNA or biological computer.

I can assure you, I am not brain damaged. I'm experienced in the field of Artificial Intelligence.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Scientific evidence of God by an atheist - by Minimalist - November 3, 2016 at 11:02 pm
RE: Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) - by I_am_not_mafia - November 4, 2016 at 7:34 am
He is cray - by Edwardo Piet - November 7, 2016 at 8:11 am
why - by ohreally - November 10, 2016 at 1:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Proof and evidence will always equal Science zwanzig 103 7003 December 17, 2021 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Young more likely to pray than over-55s - survey zebo-the-fat 16 1582 September 28, 2021 at 5:44 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Is God weaker than theists imagine, and is mankind stronger? invalid 6 2375 March 5, 2021 at 6:38 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Are miracles evidence of the existence of God? ido 74 4267 July 24, 2020 at 12:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Muslim students less likely to be awarded top class degrees. Succubus#2 28 2445 March 22, 2020 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  Religious fundamentalists more likely to believe fake news OakTree500 30 3857 November 10, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Last Post: no one
  If theists understood "evidence" Foxaèr 135 13811 October 10, 2018 at 10:50 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moses parting the sea evidence or just made up Smain 12 2943 June 28, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Are introverts less likely to like organised religion? Der/die AtheistIn 8 1389 March 22, 2018 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: GODZILLA
  Can religion be a type of Stockholm syndrome? ignoramus 5 2778 June 10, 2017 at 9:54 am
Last Post: Cyberman