Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 8:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can religion be a type of Stockholm syndrome?
Can religion be a type of Stockholm syndrome?
Wiki
Quote:a condition that causes hostages to develop a psychological alliance with their captors as a survival strategy during captivity.These feelings, resulting from a bond formed between captor and captives during intimate time spent together,

This sounds eerily like the relationship that theists have with their war mongering genocidal imaginary friend?
He has threatened them with a painful eternal hell if they don't comply with his demands!
About the only thing he didn't ask for was 10 million dollars and a helicopter!

So in return, his victms just want to love him unconditionally, donate money to his cause regularly, and build temples in his honour?
How the hell does that even work? Dunno    Am I missing something here?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
RE: Can religion be a type of Stockholm syndrome?
Absolutely. We have had sone members here who described their experience just in these terms.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Spot on.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I've long regarded it as such, yes.

Yeah, I've heard from time to time that it's a lot like an abusive relationship, or Stockholm syndrome. The only thing keeping it going is cultural pressure. Your community is your captor.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

[Image: 42a475ee83cdb8581f22c2f6bca9741d.jpg]

[Image: tumblr_m6l84lYTR11qdqya3o1_500.jpg]

[Image: 268d0b57c17e16ee266a2120eee0e6cb.jpg]
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If god can't lie, does that mean he can't do everything? Foxaèr 184 10610 September 10, 2021 at 4:20 pm
Last Post: Dundee
  How atheists can enjoy religion Ahriman 100 7107 September 5, 2021 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Todji812
  Religious culture is the problem, not religion. Since Atheist culture can be good or Snideon 17 1813 July 17, 2020 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Porcupine
  Scientific evidence of God by an atheist (Where mankind is one likely type of God) ProgrammingGodJordan 324 48048 November 22, 2016 at 10:44 am
Last Post: Chas
Lightbulb The 9 Catharses,questions that can destroy religion Anonymousq 15 3884 October 8, 2016 at 8:56 am
Last Post: GUBU
  The type of religious stuff my mother posts on FB. Foxaèr 3 1124 May 18, 2016 at 2:32 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10598 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Yes, religion is a drug, but what type of drug? Jehanne 25 3516 February 13, 2016 at 4:16 pm
Last Post: FebruaryOfReason
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4868 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19598 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon