Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 6:43 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will
The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will
(May 30, 2017 at 7:19 pm)Khemikal Wrote:
(May 30, 2017 at 6:30 pm)Valyza1 Wrote: I think you're confounding beliefs and habits.  Knowing how to behave in social environments and society is a habit that needs to be trained into you.
-which is all I apply ridicule to achieve.  I know that nutters will still be nutters after they're ridiculed.  I know that they'll still be nutters after they've been reasoned with, all civil and such-like..... as well.

I don't care to change people's beliefs, my only concern is how they act upon those beliefs, or conversely, how those beliefs compel them to action.  

Fair enough. Ridicule, or the fear of ridicule, may certainly keep them from acting upon those beliefs overtly for a certain period of time. Whether or not they'll act upon them covertly and/or after the fear subsides will likely depend on their true beliefs, however. How they act on their true beliefs will depend in large part on those influences that have earned their respect and attention, and it is not just the like-minded that earn people's respect and attention. It is those who, whether they agree or disagree, are willing to communicate.

Quote:For example, the nutter who thinks gays should be put to death, because god says so...draws some shield..in his own mind, from maintaining that "god" says so.  We hear it all the time.  "God's rules, not mine".  Ridiculing that god is -one- way to show the believer that his perceived cover is not unimpeachable.  A fairy told him...in a book...that gays should be executed.  Let's all take him and his beliefs super serious, they totally deserve it. Let's have a reasoned and civil debate on the merits of his claim, because......
Because it's the only way to communicate with him if it's at all possible. If the only good of ridicule is to show the believer that his faith is not impeachable, then it's already proved useless, because most religious paradigms include antagonists who will find all manner of fault with the belief. It only serves to prove the holy writ which predicted it. It isn't that the believer thinks her faith is unimpeachable, it's that she thinks all impeachments are error.

Quote:LOLNO!, what a complete moron. I didn't do what my imaginary friend told me to do when I was a child and this asshole is, presumably, a fully functioning non-psychotic adult.

Jerkoff

(see, it's easy)
Yes, ridicule is easy. No argument there. The discussion is about it's usefulness.

Messages In This Thread
The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will - by Valyza1 - May 30, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2647 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 739 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 6171 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 10675 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2611 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  Why some humans are so evil: double standards and irreligion WinterHold 124 20541 January 28, 2018 at 5:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15694 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  The forces of good and evil are related Foxaèr 11 3584 October 2, 2017 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 21300 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden Greatest I am 17 3874 November 29, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: ApeNotKillApe