Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 10:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The forces of good and evil are related
The forces of good and evil are related
This is purely from a fictional, metaphorical viewpoint.

I have read lots of books, seen lots of movies, seen lots of television shows in my lifetime.

Take the bible, for starters. God, the force of good and his creation, could be considered his son, the devil as force of evil.

Now onto Star Wars. Luke Skywalker, the force of good while Darth Vader, the father, is the force of evil.

Now onto the television show "Lucifer". God, the force of good. Lucifer, the son, the force of evil. Lucifer's mother, God's wife, also somewhat a force of evil.

The television show "Supernatural". God, the force of good. Darkness, God's sister, the force of evil.

Stephen King's "The Shining". The force of good in the young son. The force of evil being the father.

I suppose we choose the familial connection for good and evil as it resonates more with us in how we personally relate to our own families, unless one is of the rare statistic of having been part of the "perfect" family.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: The forces of good and evil are related
Vorlons and Shadows . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 28, 2017 at 9:51 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Vorlons and Shadows . . .

OMG, I just realized what a Vorlon is in relation to your username and Babylon 5. I haven't seen the show in forever, and I guess I never payed attention to the technical term for the alien I thought was the coolest of all, which was the Vorlon.

Was it wrong that I wanted to have sex with Kosh?
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
dogs and cats.....

[Image: CatDog.jpeg]
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(September 28, 2017 at 9:47 am)Lutrinae Wrote: This is purely from a fictional, metaphorical viewpoint.

I have read lots of books, seen lots of movies, seen lots of television shows in my lifetime.

Take the bible, for starters.  God, the force of good and his creation, could be considered his son, the devil as force of evil.

Now onto Star Wars.  Luke Skywalker, the force of good while Darth Vader, the father, is the force of evil.

Now onto the television show "Lucifer".  God, the force of good.  Lucifer, the son, the force of evil.  Lucifer's mother, God's wife, also somewhat a force of evil.

The television show "Supernatural".  God, the force of good.  Darkness, God's sister, the force of evil.

Stephen King's "The Shining".  The force of good in the young son.  The force of evil being the father.

I suppose we choose the familial connection for good and evil as it resonates more with us in how we personally relate to our own families, unless one is of the rare statistic of having been part of the "perfect" family.

I don't think you need to put reality in terms of metaphor or philosophy.

Humans do chalk good and evil to mythology, superstition and sky heros. But good and evil are not explained with those things.

Humans see good as that which benefits and evil as that which harms. But those things are highly subjective to point of view.

"Good vs evil" as motifs exist in fiction too. 

Star Wars, is very religiously themed even though fiction. Instead of your God of Abraham, you have the superstition of a invisible force that has a dark side and a good side, which manifests into hero vs villain in Yoda and Obi Wan and Skywalker vs the evil of the Emperor and Darth Vader. 

Good vs evil is really nothing more than our species reflection of desiring to continue. It is a reflection of our evolutionary survival. 

Religion works from the idea of the same principle of pop media fiction. You cant have a hero without a villain.
(September 28, 2017 at 10:06 am)Lutrinae Wrote:
(September 28, 2017 at 9:51 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Vorlons and Shadows . . .

OMG, I just realized what a Vorlon is in relation to your username and Babylon 5.  I haven't seen the show in forever, and I guess I never payed attention to the technical term for the alien I thought was the coolest of all, which was the Vorlon.  

Was it wrong that I wanted to have sex with Kosh?

Then the willows must scuttle carefully.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Like the Force in SW, it can be used for both good and evil. It's just a vehicle.
Like deeds. EG, killing a bull with spears for entertainment for me is cruel, if you're Spanish, it's Saturday night.

There is no objectively bad deed me thinks.

PS, If Trump nukes NK because Kim fired first, does that justify the 30 million innocent dead as collateral? I don't know Dunno
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Because you don't know something doesn't mean there isn't any objective way to know it.

And indeed if morality is true, it is a guidance. And if guidance exists, it must be from the absolute perception and perfect judge who will guide throughout all stages.

And indeed God is capable of manifesting that guidance that is inwardly connected to us, by his words and verify reason and his proof. And he can make a book a focal point by which this occurs. And knowing the evil of those who wish to implement their desire on the book through all means necessary, he would provide guardians.

And being consistent would be expected for God, and there is wisdom in making them into chosen families, who are close to each other, and associated in the affair of guidance with respect to their mission. And their is always a reminder and family associated with it.

And it makes sense that regarding how much Navigators and Captains would succeed the founder, there would be a consistent way and number. The only number with possible consistency if you research religions is Twelve.

And because guidance is connected to us, it proves God who it's leading to and it's source. And because it is connected to us, it proves God can manifest it and show it's accurate explanation and reasoning and focus our reflection on which will guide us to the truth of it, so that humanity unites on the rope of God.

And because it requires proper reasoning and reflection, we are in need of guide who sees it as it and is the witness of it's light.

And we need light to see, and indeed the light and witness go hand to hand, the witness and perceiver is that which is manifested as well.

And God is the witness by which our value, deeds, and identity are defined.

Indeed evil is related to Good, since it's negative, it's opposite, and get's it's reality from being opposite to good.

And evil is not just malice but all sorts of other evils.

Good is not just compassion, but all sorts of other goods.

Praise and condemnation cannot be limited to what we want it to be by our desires, so we justify our dirty corrupted water.
What's truly amazing is this wack-a-doo actually thinks anyone is going to waste time reading his shit. Let me take a wild stab in the dark; lots of false equivalencies, unfounded assertions and unfinished points that ultimately would have gone nowhere anyway?

It makes sense that historically the older generations would be considered the cruel ogres oppressing their progeny who rebel and stand up to them. It's not always that way of course but surely the majority of fiction and history shows it that way. Too bad no one who sees that in the bible realizes that the facade of jeebus was in many ways far worse than that of papa Yahweh. Come to think, lots of fiction has the apple not falling very far from the tree.
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.
(October 1, 2017 at 9:19 pm)Astonished Wrote: What's truly amazing is this wack-a-doo actually thinks anyone is going to waste time reading his shit. Let me take a wild stab in the dark; lots of false equivalencies, unfounded assertions and unfinished points that ultimately would have gone nowhere anyway?

-snip-

I got to the middle of sentence two of MK's post, and my BS meter bent the needle around the high side peg, so I left it at that point.
If you get to thinking you’re a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else’s dog around.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evil God and anti-theodicy FrustratedFool 32 2354 August 21, 2023 at 9:28 am
Last Post: FrustratedFool
  Do people make evil? Interaktive 7 711 August 8, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Atheism, Gnosticism & the Problem of Evil Seax 86 5866 April 7, 2021 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  [Serious] Good vs Evil Losty 84 10266 March 8, 2021 at 4:33 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Bishop setting up group to fight off 'evil forces' and recite prayers of exorcism Marozz 14 2568 October 11, 2018 at 5:19 am
Last Post: OakTree500
  MS closely linked to age-related decline in levels of testosterone WinterHold 4 1123 March 22, 2018 at 9:12 am
Last Post: brewer
  Why some humans are so evil: double standards and irreligion WinterHold 124 20354 January 28, 2018 at 5:38 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Why the Texas shooting is not evil, based on the bible Face2face 56 15563 November 16, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Little Rik
  The Problem of Evil combined with the problem of Free Will Aroura 163 45713 June 5, 2017 at 8:54 am
Last Post: Drich
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20830 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis