Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 3:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Used To Be A Fan But I Am Now Shocked, Disgusted And Appalled With Sam Harris
RE: I Used To Be A Fan But I Am Now Shocked, Disgusted And Appalled With Sam Harris
(July 28, 2017 at 10:18 pm)Hammy Wrote: The connections quite literally aren't there but the fundamental base for them very literally is there. The genetic makeup plays a huge role. And even when genes are dormant they're still there and able to be activated. The environment shapes intelligence but it can only shape what's already there... and what seeds grow can only grow from the seeds that are already there, to use an analogy.

Intelligent people aren't born with baby level intelligence and they "become" intelligent.  They've always been intelligent it just hasn't had chance to develop yet.

The way I understand and define intelligence is it's a potential capacity.

(July 20, 2017 at 12:29 pm)paulpablo Wrote: This is basically like saying I can't see the water in the cups so I know they're equal for a fact.

That's an awful analogy of what I'm doing. You're assuming they're not equal and we're talking about a situation where races are so equal in intelligence on average that the null hypothesis is indeed that they are close to equal rather than further away from equal.

Quote:It's funny how you view the IQ tests to be flawed but you consider your own "common sense" and on the spot judgement of people to flawless.
That says a lot about your arrogance.

What utter bullshit. You're the arrogant one because you're claiming to know I think this when I haven't even given the sligthest indication of thinking that at all. In fact I've said the exact opposite... I'm saying that the best we can do is use our own common sense because it's too difficult to measure. You're the one who thinks we can measure it remember? You're the arrogant one. I'm saying it's immeasurable.

I have said that that the best we can do is use our common sense when it comes to realizing what the null hypothesis is. You're the arrogant moron who pretends to not even have a null hypothesis and yet you're also looking for evidence that races do have equal intelligence. And you're the arrogant idiot who is trying to measure it and then accusing me of doing that when I'm saying we can't. You're the twat who's misrepresenting my position as saying my own common sense is good enough to measure intelligence when what I'm actually saying is that we can't measure it at all and we have to use common sense to recognize that the null hypothesis is that races are more or less equal intelligence and we'd have to look for evidence of them NOT having equal intelligence, not look for evidence that they do.. Not be a biased racist arrogant moron who thinks that we need to look for evidence of races NOT having significantly differing intelligence, assuming like a bigot that the null hypothesis is that races have significantly different intelligent levels/ Why would you make that your null hypothesis? You are saying you consider a null hypothesis would be a bad idea and yet your null hypothesis is already very clearly that races have significantly different intelligences despite not having any evidence of this and despite not being able to have evidence of this. And the fact that that is your starting position without evidence is what makes it a null hypothesis (and a rather bigoted assumption) on your part.

I didn't actually mention a null hypothesis.  According to you there is no data to back up a null hypothesis, the only reliable measurement of intelligence is if you say someone is intelligent then they are, you know because you're intelligent and can therefore tell who else is.

I made a casual observation that it would be statistically unlikely for any two groups of huge populations to have exactly the same sum of any sort of biological value.

Whether it's athletic performance, weight, body fat percentage, height, bone density.  Or intelligence.

I'm not speaking much about my own opinions apart from casual observations.  I wouldn't make a hypothesis based on no data.

The main thing I'm talking about is your statements which seem illogical.

Quote:A bit like it's not racist for me to say that the fact a lot of the fastest runners and best boxers are African American isn't a coincidence because races do have physical genetic differences and competences even though mentally intelligence levels between races is the same.

Quote:That's the whole point... it's not measurable. It's merely definable.

Quote:It's not "easily" observable. You've got your null hypothesis backwards. Common sense is pretty much useless.

When it comes to intelligence, it takes one to know one, you either have it or you don't... and you very much don't.

Quote: Getting the right null hypothesis is where the common sense comes in. 

Your statements are so wild.

You have a value that's not measurable but you can tell upon meeting someone who has intelligence because you've judged yourself to be intelligence, common sense is useless so you used this useless common sense to come to the null hypothesis that all intelligence is equal based on no measurements because it's impossible to measure.

Impossible to measure except when you yourself judge a measurement, because you're so intelligent you have the ability to measure the immeasurable.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I Used To Be A Fan But I Am Now Shocked, Disgusted And Appalled With Sam Harris - by paulpablo - July 28, 2017 at 10:56 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Then and now. onlinebiker 16 1140 May 24, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  What to get an ABBA fan for their birthday. Brian37 30 2280 September 17, 2019 at 5:12 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Pranks you have pulled, but would not now. Brian37 19 1164 February 21, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Star Wars fan film: Darth Vader: Episode 1 Shards ofthe Past Cepheus Ace 5 548 December 23, 2018 at 3:14 am
Last Post: Maketakunai
  Maybe the Shit should hit the Fan fromdownunder 2 540 September 12, 2018 at 6:03 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Usernames you might have used? Gawdzilla Sama 36 5428 June 29, 2018 at 6:42 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  You once loved it, but now... c172 38 5386 April 21, 2018 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  You once hated it, but now.... Foxaèr 27 3530 April 16, 2018 at 8:59 am
Last Post: emjay
  I used Uber for the first time today Foxaèr 5 1169 April 11, 2018 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Antares
  One step closer to having Sam Elliots love child ! vorlon13 1 1037 March 10, 2016 at 12:21 am
Last Post: vorlon13