Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 12:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth
(August 15, 2017 at 11:30 am)rjh4 is back Wrote:
(August 15, 2017 at 10:05 am)Khemikal Wrote: What is it about abiogenesis that makes you object, even if/when whatever rationalization you offer doesn't pan out?  It's fair to assume that you haven't suddenly come to the opinion that life arose spontaneously in the primordial ooze just because your previous objections have been mooted, right?

Answer to question 2): Yes

Answer to question 1): Thinking about it...and I am seriously trying to answer your question...I guess I would have to conclude simply that my real objection is that it is not consistent with my presuppositions (hence the yes answer above and the reason why I think TAG is a more consistent position to take than an evidentiary argument for God as I said somewhere else in this thread). And based on this conversation, I certainly understand better how your position regarding abiogenesis would be consistent with your presuppositions and how my objections because of my presuppositions don't really affect your position on the matter.

The only difference between our "presuppositions" on this matter is that you posit a supernatural agent and I do not.  If you consider "goddidit" a valid presupposition, you hardly need to provide an argument here, or otherwise (ala TAG).  Nor, for that matter, is there any reason to object to anything that is ever proposed with regards to the origin of life - or ourselves.  Nor could any argument which presupposes a god then be validly leveraged to prove a god. In that important sense, it's not consistent -at all- to point to an argument for god, if god is a presupposition.

So, again, why object?  I think it happened in manner x...so do you, you just think god did that.  The abiogenesis proposition, itself - is agent/cause neutral.  It doesn't speak to your presupposition in the least - it simply doesn't require it to be true...and neither do you.  You think that it is, granted, but you accept that it need not be - unless you are..in fact, proposing that only god can bake the cake..even if someone or something else followed the same recipe.

That whereas god got reaction a - I would get reaction b, and some happenstance arrangement of the same elements and conditions would get reaction c or no reaction.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth - by The Grand Nudger - August 15, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth's Gravity Hole Bucky Ball 2 572 July 29, 2023 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The shape of Earth h311inac311 162 25246 December 4, 2022 at 1:06 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Young Earth Creationism LinuxGal 3 812 November 26, 2022 at 8:21 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Earth’s energy budget is out of balance Jehanne 5 588 August 20, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NASA: Asteroid Could Still Hit Earth in 2068 WinterHold 52 4395 November 7, 2020 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Possible signs of life found in the atmosphere of Venus zebo-the-fat 11 1500 September 14, 2020 at 8:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Did Einstein Say Light is Massive? Rhondazvous 25 3167 July 8, 2019 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Puzzling thing about Speed of Light/Speed of Causality vulcanlogician 25 2655 August 24, 2018 at 11:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Irresponsible caretakers of Earth ignoramus 50 7427 April 9, 2018 at 8:12 am
Last Post: JackRussell
  How Cn Gravity Affect Light When Light Has No Mass? Rhondazvous 18 1884 March 2, 2018 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: polymath257