Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Member of Congress Among 5 Reportedly Shot at Baseball Field
RE: Member of Congress Among 5 Reportedly Shot at Baseball Field
(June 17, 2017 at 3:55 pm)wallym Wrote: Sure, there are moderate politicians.  They know the rhetoric is all a part of the game.  I'm sure a few of them drink their own kool-aid, but for the most part, they know it's just a tool they hand out to the masses to try and win elections.  That's why W, who was 100% a racist war criminal is somehow able to be friends with Obama a Kenyan who hates america and vice versa. 

My point is that arguing that there are moderate Republicans but no moderate Democrats is silly. There are moderates and extremists on both sides of the aisle.

(June 17, 2017 at 3:55 pm)wallym Wrote: Maybe there are some moderates, and I'm just overlooking them.

That's what I think.

(June 17, 2017 at 3:55 pm)wallym Wrote: Maybe they just keep quiet, because if they tell people like Khemikal that Trump isn't like Hitler in any meaningful way, people like Khem will call them a Nazi sympathizer and socially ostracize them, and it's not worth the hassle?

Extreme leftists absolutely do that. I'm no leftist at all -- I'm a centrist with libertarian leanings -- and it seems to me that the rhetoric on both sides has been shrill since around the Lewinsky affair. Not to say there hasn't been hatchet jobs before then, but it seems to me that that was when character attacks from both sides became the meat-and-potatoes of American politics.

Both sides need to step away from the precipice. That comedienne who waved Trump's head around? Wrong, wrong, wrong. Birthers? Wrong, wrong, wrong. Tea Partiers showing up to rallies with slung arms? What sort of response -- or respect -- did they expect?

Politics is the art of giving your opponent to compromise without losing face.

The American political scene is fucked for that reason. There can be no compromise from either side when both sides are more concerned with shoring up the base that, you know, running the goddamned country as they've been elected to do.

(June 17, 2017 at 6:39 pm)wallym Wrote:
(June 17, 2017 at 4:38 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Passed again, eh?  Boring.

Since you're clearly not up to that convo, let's try another, again based on your comments.  Find me a moderate pro-trump politician?  Let's start with that.  What, in your estimation, have moderates been saying about Trump?

If you want to skip the Socratic stuff, and just get straight to your point, I can respond to that, if you want.

Or, you could simply explain the basis for your views, rather than positing baseless claims. Just a thought.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Member of Congress Among 5 Reportedly Shot at Baseball Field - by Thumpalumpacus - June 17, 2017 at 8:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] American Congress member speaks about Israeli terrorism against Palestinians WinterHold 5 378 May 14, 2021 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  California High Capacity Magazine Ban Shot Down. onlinebiker 73 2464 August 25, 2020 at 1:37 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Among Matt Bevin's Pardons: Man who raped 9 year old girl Cecelia 1 408 December 14, 2019 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  George Zimmerman suing parents of Trayvon Martin among others Cecelia 140 7697 December 11, 2019 at 11:13 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Shot in her own home! Brian37 119 7539 October 16, 2019 at 7:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Pregnant Alabama Woman who was shot charged with Manslaughter of her unborn baby Cecelia 94 7559 July 3, 2019 at 4:27 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  "A good guy with a gun" saves the day, only to be shot dead himself Aegon 30 3173 November 14, 2018 at 11:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Russian Woman Reportedly Faces 6 Years in Prison for Insulting Memes about Xtians purplepurpose 1 560 October 16, 2018 at 5:31 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  I'd Rather Have Your Dog In Congress Than You Minimalist 2 516 May 28, 2018 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Speaker Eddie Munster to retire from Congress Brian37 5 903 April 11, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: Aegon