Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 1:56 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eugenics/Designer-babies... is the concept really that bad?
RE: Eugenics/Designer-babies... is the concept really that bad?
(August 11, 2017 at 11:33 am)Khemikal Wrote: It's a compulsion with you. 

Thousands of years of secular ethics, ethics which found their way into your own magic book...but you just can't see how anyone who doesn't believe in fairies might justify some ethical position any way other than "might makes right".

Really?

In any case, it's true that people aren't all that good at family planning (gee, I wonder why that might be, lol) - but also that we do have a poor track record with central control.  If you wanted to offer a more accurate criticism, rather than the usual shitpost, it would probably meander along the lines of the ethical thinking that leads one to such a conclusion is valid and sound, but that we have little practical ability to do so and a track record of worst case scenario failures.  It's not thew thought you're really railing against, but it's implementation.  If we were better people, it would be a fantastic idea...but we're not..so, for now, it isn't.

There's nothing about an ethics that sharply criticises our reproductive choices or even our ability to competentlky make them that leads, inexorably, to collectivist fascism.  There have been fascists who made similar observations, though. / shrugs

Personally, I think the world needs more of us.  Just choke the ever loving shit out of this rock and the next one, and the next one, and the next one -ad infinitum.  Genetic engineering can certainly help us do that, if we don't use it to shit all over ourselves first.  Ultimately, GE is just a shortcut to what we've been doing this whole time selecting our partners.

I think it's deeper than that, he just doesn't want to give that kind of power to anyone but his corrupt, phony-baloney fucking god.

I don't see what's wrong with something like,
"Hi, we're here to have a baby."
"All right, welcome to the lab. Just fill out these forms, please."
"Certainly."
"All right, just let me check your income and education levels...oh good, at least one of you is qualified to provide the adequate financial means of a family of three. I assume one of you will be the primary at-home care provider for your infant?"
"That's right!"
"Ah, it says here you two didn't take and/or pass the prerequisite parenting examinations to learn how to be good parents."
"Oh, is that a requirement?"
"Yes, absolutely. I mean, just look at history and how much child abuse occurred. This helps minimize both parental inadequacy and delinquency in the children they raise."
"We see...that sounds fair. Can you sign us up for that exam?"
"Sure thing. It's a class that takes place over the course of a couple of weekends for the next few weeks. It also gives couples time to think it over really hard before they make such a big decision."
"That makes sense, don't want to get into something binding with a partner it might not work out with."
"While you're waiting for all the paperwork to get itself in order, you can fill out this form for the sort of characteristics you want your child to have. There's a basic package, immunity to most diseases, increased intelligence, metabolism that would help prevent obesity and promote muscle development and cardiovascular health, and dampening of the hormones that trigger aggressive behavior. Other available refinements can be selected at the discretion of the parents. And yes, 'None of the Above' is an option for those who don't wish to give their children advantages and decrease their chances of dying or becoming sick and suffering."

I mean, is that in any way unreasonable?
Religions were invented to impress and dupe illiterate, superstitious stone-age peasants. So in this modern, enlightened age of information, what's your excuse? Or are you saying with all your advantages, you were still tricked as easily as those early humans?

---

There is no better way to convey the least amount of information in the greatest amount of words than to try explaining your religious views.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Eugenics/Designer-babies... is the concept really that bad? - by Astonished - August 11, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Editing the "germ line" with CRISPR AKA "eugenics" Duty 9 1095 March 26, 2020 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Older fathers increase odds of sicker babies brewer 3 255 November 1, 2018 at 11:14 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  We must de-stigmatize eugenics Alexmahone 62 6059 August 17, 2018 at 5:29 pm
Last Post: Joods
  Bad Dog vorlon13 23 1636 July 25, 2016 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  What do you think about Eugenics? Twisted 47 7731 June 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Bad news for vegetarians Mudhammam 8 1958 July 3, 2014 at 4:49 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Bad news for Rick Santorum: Homophobia shortens lifespan. TaraJo 34 5989 April 12, 2014 at 4:01 pm
Last Post: John V
  Interesting Concept..... Minimalist 15 6256 March 6, 2014 at 4:02 am
Last Post: max-greece
  Eugenics EgoRaptor 18 3207 January 29, 2014 at 10:45 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
Smile World’s First GM Babies Born Big Blue Sky 12 3736 June 28, 2013 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Whateverist